Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how much we can pipe in shell prompt ? Post 302354588 by vidyadhar85 on Friday 18th of September 2009 05:20:57 PM
Old 09-18-2009
what do you mean by how much ??? in question 1..
echo $11 will print 11th argument like echo $3
mkdir -p dir1/dir2/dir3

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No shell prompt?

When I login to a specific machine (running Solaris 2.8; actually serveral machines behave this way), with a known good account, I don't get any shell prompt, and no screen responses to various commands such as ID and PWD. Any ideas on what is causing this, and how to change this behavior? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mufasa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt in sh shell

Hi, I´m using SCO Unix 5.0.5 and I want to configure de variable PS1, so when I type the command: cd /etc/ the prompt shows /etc/_> Is that possible with sh shell? I´ll appreciate your help. Thanks, a Happy New Year! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diegoe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell specific prompt

currently, I set my prompt in my .cshrc file as: set prompt = "%B%h %m %P %/ \n% " I have to use certain shells for some specific tasks and would like to set different prompts depending on the type of shell that I am using. Any advice? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranNfly
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird in Shell Prompt

Hi, I saw something in weird in Shell prompt. I did the following steps 1) Typed ls -l and pressed ESC without entering 2) Typed "v" (please notice that I did not type "i" after "v"), which opened vi editor 3) I see the "ls -l" command that I typed in shell prompt 4) Without modifying... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive shell through a pipe

I'm new to working with pipes, so I don't know whether the following is expected behaviour or a bug on the part of an application. Since Version 0.47, Inkscape provides a non-GUI interactive shell mode of operation. I am trying to time the program's performance in converting SVG files to PNG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccprog
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

7. AIX

Shell Scripting (prompt off)

Dear all experts, I have a script written to compress a list of files, during compressing, some of the files are having same name. When the compressing started, the same name file will be prompted with message whether to overwrite the old file. I need to enter "y" to continue. Is there any way I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

RFC - Korn shell prompt

Hi, I am learning shell scripting for the first time. I use AT&T Korn Shell, Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01, compiled from source on NetBSD. So far I have managed to set up what I think is a useful and pleasing shell prompt, which can be seen in the image attached to this post. The prompt is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gezley
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to create one's own pipe in one's own shell?

Good evening, I'm trying to do my own shell and I encountered some issues while creating it. Indeed when I try such a command I have DAUPHINE> DAUPHINE> ls -l | grep terminal > fichier DAUPHINE> cat fichier My shell is named DAUPHINE Whereas I should have: Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntoineCompagni
0 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess communication channel SYNOPSIS
pipe(fildes) int fildes[2]; DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to 4096 bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. Pipes are really a special case of the socketpair(2) call and, in fact, are implemented as such in the system. A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. RETURN VALUE
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred. ERRORS
The pipe call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2), socketpair(2) BUGS
Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. 4th Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 PIPE(2)