Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disk space
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat disk space Post 302354586 by Corona688 on Friday 18th of September 2009 05:19:06 PM
Old 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboorkuma
when i check
/export directory of my machine gets filled up (85%) i removed some old logs.
It's better to truncate log files than delete them. Deleting them won't actually free them until any handles to them are closed, but truncating them will free the space. You can do this like echo > /path/to/logfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Out of disk space?

Hi I'm trying to install gcc and the installation program tells me that I'm out of disk space! I have just installed the os (using the default settings for partitions and sizes) and have only installed apache on the machine. Can it really be out of disk space already? How do I check how much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Disk Space

Hi Experts. I had 100% disk full , even though i have removed 2 GB space still dbf command shows 100%. How to rectify that. Appreciate your prompt help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: test10002
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hello All- Am new member to this forum. Have some unix experience. But true believer in it compared to windows. Have a question regarding the disk space. I know a command to check the total disk space utilization using: df -k . but what is the command to check the same disk space by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milkyway
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space

Hi This is my script for disk space monitoring clear if then echo "You must be root user to execute the script" fi ALERT_LEVEL=10 CONSUMPTION_LEVEL= `df -k | awk {'print $5'} | cut -d '%' -f1 | sed "1 d"` for i in $CONSUMPTION_LEVEL do FILE_SYSTEM=`df -k | awk {'print $1'} |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space

Hi Guys i have a nice little piece of code then i need to modify so that is does not look at /Voulmes/* thanks sub disk_full { my $i = 0; open( DF, "df -l|" ); while (<DF>) { #chomp(); next if (/^\/proc\b/); $i++; next if ( $i == 1 ); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, and want to monitor disk space using shell script continously on server, which will shoot mail after crossing threshold limit Please suggest. Regards Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Disk Space

Hi, I am installing TAM-eb components in solaris V10.o, unfortunately am running out of space. when I -df i come across a lot of directories. i would like to know whether there is any way to free some disk space. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ichwaiznicht
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much disk space?

Hi, I have this : uname -a Linux servername 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 23 15:57:10 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux df -k Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupied Disponible Capacity Monted on /u01/applis 10321208 3190160 6606760 33% /applis Does it mean... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies
NEWSYSLOG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWSYSLOG(8)

NAME
newsyslog -- maintain system log files to manageable sizes SYNOPSIS
newsyslog [-CFNPnrsv] [-a directory] [-d directory] [-f config_file] [-S pidfile] [-t timefmt] [[-R tagname] file ...] DESCRIPTION
The newsyslog utility should be scheduled to run periodically by cron(8). When it is executed it archives log files if necessary. If a log file is determined to require archiving, newsyslog rearranges the files so that ``logfile'' is empty, ``logfile.0'' has the last period's logs in it, ``logfile.1'' has the next to last period's logs in it, and so on, up to a user-specified number of archived logs. It is also possible to let archived log filenames be created using the time the log file was archived instead of the sequential number using the -t option. Optionally the archived logs can be compressed to save space. A log can be archived for three reasons: 1. It is larger than the configured size (in kilobytes). 2. A configured number of hours have elapsed since the log was last archived. 3. This is the specific configured hour for rotation of the log. The granularity of newsyslog is dependent on how often it is scheduled to run by cron(8). Since the program is quite fast, it may be sched- uled to run every hour without any ill effects, and mode three (above) assumes that this is so. OPTIONS
The following options can be used with newsyslog: -f config_file Instruct newsyslog to use config_file instead of /etc/newsyslog.conf for its configuration file. -a directory Specify a directory into which archived log files will be written. If a relative path is given, it is appended to the path of each log file and the resulting path is used as the directory into which the archived log for that log file will be written. If an abso- lute path is given, all archived logs are written into the given directory. If any component of the path directory does not exist, it will be created when newsyslog is run. -d directory Specify a directory which all log files will be relative to. To allow archiving of logs outside the root, the directory passed to the -a option is unaffected. -v Place newsyslog in verbose mode. In this mode it will print out each log and its reasons for either trimming that log or skipping it. -n Cause newsyslog not to trim the logs, but to print out what it would do if this option were not specified. This option implies the -r option. -r Remove the restriction that newsyslog must be running as root. Of course, newsyslog will not be able to send a HUP signal to syslogd(8) so this option should only be used in debugging. -s Specify that newsyslog should not send any signals to any daemon processes that it would normally signal when rotating a log file. For any log file which is rotated, this option will usually also mean the rotated log file will not be compressed if there is a dae- mon which would have been signalled without this option. However, this option is most likely to be useful when specified with the -R option, and in that case the compression will be done. -t timefmt If specified newsyslog will create the ``rotated'' logfiles using the specified time format instead of the default sequential file- names. The filename used will be kept until it is deleted. The time format is described in the strftime(3) manual page. If the timefmt argument is set to an empty string or the string ``DEFAULT'', the default built in time format is used. If the timefmt string is changed the old files created using the previous time format will not be automatically removed (unless the new format is very similar to the old format). This is also the case when changing from sequential filenames to time based file names, and the other way around. The time format should contain at least year, month, day, and hour to make sure rotating of old logfiles can select the correct logfiles. -C If specified once, then newsyslog will create any log files which do not exist, and which have the C flag specified in their config file entry. If specified multiple times, then newsyslog will create all log files which do not already exist. If log files are given on the command-line, then the -C or -CC will only apply to those specific log files. -F Force newsyslog to trim the logs, even if the trim conditions have not been met. This option is useful for diagnosing system prob- lems by providing you with fresh logs that contain only the problems. -N Do not perform any rotations. This option is intended to be used with the -C or -CC options when creating log files is the only objective. -P Prevent further action if we should send signal but the ``pidfile'' is empty or does not exist. -R tagname Specify that newsyslog should rotate a given list of files, even if trim conditions are not met for those files. The tagname is only used in the messages written to the log files which are rotated. This differs from the -F option in that one or more log files must also be specified, so that newsyslog will only operate on those specific files. This option is mainly intended for the daemons or programs which write some log files, and want to trigger a rotate based on their own criteria. With this option they can execute newsyslog to trigger the rotate when they want it to happen, and still give the system administrator a way to specify the rules of rotation (such as how many backup copies are kept, and what kind of compression is done). When a daemon does execute newsyslog with the -R option, it should make sure all of the log files are closed before calling newsyslog, and then it should re-open the files after newsyslog returns. Usually the calling process will also want to specify the -s option, so newsyslog will not send a signal to the very process which called it to force the rotate. Skipping the signal step will also mean that newsyslog will return faster, since newsyslog normally waits a few seconds after any signal that is sent. -S pidfile Use pidfile as syslogd(8)'s pidfile. If additional command line arguments are given, newsyslog will only examine log files that match those arguments; otherwise, it will examine all files listed in the configuration file. FILES
/etc/newsyslog.conf newsyslog configuration file /etc/newsyslog.conf.d Each file in this directory will be included by the default newsyslog.conf. /usr/local/etc/newsyslog.conf.d Each file in this directory will be included by the default newsyslog.conf. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the newsyslog utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. Beginning with FreeBSD 3.3, this has been changed to a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. The dot (``.'') character is still accepted for backwards compatibility. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1), xz(1), syslog(3), newsyslog.conf(5), chown(8), syslogd(8) HISTORY
The newsyslog utility originated from NetBSD and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. AUTHORS
Theodore Ts'o, MIT Project Athena Copyright 1987, Massachusetts Institute of Technology BUGS
Does not yet automatically read the logs to find security breaches. BSD
September 23, 2014 BSD