Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change all filenames in a directory Post 302354543 by crumb on Friday 18th of September 2009 12:51:18 PM
Old 09-18-2009
That works perfect guy. I think that may be the winner. I had to install ksh but that works for me. I don't have to make changes to the spaces either.

Thanks

ps... the character string i need to remove at the beginning is actually two letters then a 4 digit number, then dash, then 2 digit number, then space, dash, space.
I realized I need to be more detailed in my description of the issue needing solving.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change filenames to Proper case

Hi, I have files with all its characters in lower cases. I need to change them to "proper case" (starting char to be come Upper case). How can I? Pls suggest. for e.g. xyz.txt should become Xyz.txt TIA Prvn (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to change filenames in a particular directory from lowercase to UPPERCASE

Hi, I need a shell script which changes a bunch of files in a particular directory from lowercase to UPPERCASE. I am not very familiar with shell scripts so a detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks ini advance! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duke_Lukem
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change part of filenames in a bulk way

Hallo! I have generated lots of data file which all having this format: sp*t1overt2*.txt Now I want to change them in this way: sp*t2overt1*.txt The rest of the file names stay unchanged. I know this is kind of routine action in sed or awk, but dont know how! I tried this command: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forgi
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames under different folders...

Hi, all: I'd love to use shell script to change all filenames under different folders once for all: I've got over 100 folders, in each of them, there is a file named "a.ppm". I wanna change all these "a.ppm" to "b.ppm", and still . Visually, the directory structure looks like: and hope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

change filenames but not extension

I have a filename with a bunch of periods that I want to replace with underscores, but I don't want to change the extension. Ex: I want file.test1.f-1.fig.eps to be file_test1_f-1_fig.eps Using awk, the following line will replace ALL periods with underscores, but I want to leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinbot
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filenames recursively

Hello, I made a mistake in a script and now need to go back and change allot of filenames. I need to change "v4" in filenames to "v3". I was thinking of something like this. #!/bin/bash FILELIST=$(ls -f -R *) for FILE in $FILELIST do # create new filename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
APPLY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply -- apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [-a c] [-d] [-#] command argument ... DESCRIPTION
The apply utility runs the named command on each argument argument in turn. Character sequences of the form ``%d'' in command, where 'd' is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused argument. In this case, the largest digit number of arguments are discarded for each execution of command. The options are as follows: -# Normally arguments are taken singly; the optional number -# specifies the number of arguments to be passed to command. If the number is zero, command is run, without arguments, once for each argument. If any sequences of ``%d'' occur in command, the -# option is ignored. -a c The use of the character '%' as a magic character may be changed with the -a option. -d Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not actually execute them. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of apply: SHELL Pathname of shell to use. If this variable is not defined, the Bourne shell is used. EXAMPLES
apply echo a* is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. FILES
/bin/sh default shell AUTHORS
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes (''). HISTORY
The apply command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 4, 1994 BSD