Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Size of swap partition during installation Post 302354527 by Corona688 on Friday 18th of September 2009 11:58:06 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
My point was simply that if you do not have enough physical swap space, part of internal memory will never get used, simply because processes will not be allowed to start due to insufficient virtual memory.
This cannot be true. I regularly boot linux livecd's that come online with no swap whatsoever. Swap isn't needed unless swapping actually happens.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-18-2009 at 01:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap

Hy all, i've a little problem with the size of the swap. I've an old solaris machine, with 4Go, and swap is taking 500Mo for only 1% used at any time. So : how can i change this size without problems ????? (ok it may be a stupid question, but it's a real problem when you lose about 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

5. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

6. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

7. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Solaris

/tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more

Hi, the /tmp size is less whereas the size allocated to swap is quite big. how to increase the size of /tmp - #: swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d20 85,20 8 273096 273096 #: swap -s total: 46875128k bytes allocated + 2347188k reserved =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psb74
2 Replies
dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)					      System Manager's Manual					    dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)

NAME
dtc_setup_disk - setup LVM disks for using it as a VM SYNOPSIS
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh VPS_NUMBER HDD_SIZE SWAP_SIZE [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to create partitions to be used by a VPS later on. It will create a normal partition that will be used as a root disk, and a swap partition. dtc_setup_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. If the partition(s) exists, then this script will delete it/them first. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. HDD_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS partition to create. SWAP_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS swap partition to create. If the dtc-xen SOAP server is used to create the VPS, then it will create a swap partition of the exact same size as the memory. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 15360 256 lvm This will create 2 LVM partition to be used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being a root partition of 15 GB, and the second one being a swap partition of 256 MB. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_setup_vps_disk version 0.3.15. See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_kill_vps_disk(8) dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)