Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux What is the difference between flavour & distribution. Post 302354521 by Corona688 on Friday 18th of September 2009 11:48:40 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g
Well, technically Linux is "NOT" a UNIX.
It's a kernel that, together with GNU, makes a system that fits quite a lot of the UNIX specification. The backronym is an obsolete joke, and there is no extant Real UNIX©®™ operating system and hasn't been for a long time, so I'd love to hear a reason beyond "well, it's not directly descended from BSD" for the constant parroting I hear of this...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ./ & . ./ ???

For executing a shell script, i know 2 ways: 1) using sh command 2) making the script file executable & then use ./ But i can across another way for executing the scripts... using ". ./" I tried this way.. but i was able to understand the difference between "./" and ". ./" I would be very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abishekmag
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between && and -a

I've come stuck when I was making sure the hour of the day was not been two times so that the rest of the script could not be executed. Seems simple enough. I used the -a to join the two conditions together and it would run if the conditions was t/f ( it is only supposed to run if was t/t).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spookyrtd99
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Difference between <stdin> & terminal

Hi, What's the difference in taking inputs from <stdin> and terminal. When by default <stdin> points to terminal itself. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Difference between s & S in setuid in UNIX

Hi, what is the difference btwn s and S in setuid , access permissions. I have to make to change the access permissions of a file to rwsr_xr_r but if i type in 4655 it changes the file to rwSr_xr_r . How can I make this change ? Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astha rais
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between sudo & RBAC

Hello Everybody I would like to know any major difference between sudo & RBAC as I am bit familiar with RBAC but not with sudo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

8. Solaris

difference b/w sol9 & sol10

what is the difference b/w sol9 and sol10 booting procedure?? Recently faced this question with HP... Thiru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

About date & time difference

Hello All, I was having a look on threads on the Forum about time calculation but didn't find exactly this issue. For instance, if we have these 2 dates, begin & end : 20100430235830 20100501000200 Is there anyway, awk, ksh, perl to calculate the difference in sec and get for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies
RINSE(8)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  RINSE(8)

NAME
rinse - RPM Installation Entity. SYNOPSIS
rinse [options] Help Options: --help Show help information. --manual Read the manual for this script. --version Show the version information and exit. Mandatory Options: --arch Specify the architecture to install. --directory The directory to install the distribution within. --distribution The distribution to install. Customization Options: --add-pkg-list Additional packages to download and install --after-post-install Additionally run the specified script after the post install script. --before-post-install Additionally run the specified script before the post install script. --post-install Run the given post-install script instead of the default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro Misc Options: --cache Should we use a local cache? (Default is 1) --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Clean our cache of .rpm files. --config Specify a different configuration file. (Default is /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --pkgs-dir Specify a different directory containing <distribution>.packages files. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. (Default is to read it from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --list-distributions Show installable distributions. --print-uris Only show the RPMs which should be downloaded. default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro --verbose Enable verbose output. OPTIONS
--arch Specify the architecture to install. Valid choices are 'amd64' and 'i386' only. --add-pkg-list Add a list of additional packages. --cache Specify whether to cache packages (1) or not (0). --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Remove all cached .rpm files. --directory Specify the directory into which the distribution should be installed. --distribution Specify the distribution to be installed. --help Show help information. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. Normally this is read from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf. --list-distributions Show the distributions which are installable. --manual Read the manual for this script. --print-uris Only show the files we would download, don't actually do so. --verbose Enable verbose output. --version Show the version number and exit. DESCRIPTION
rinse is a simple script which is designed to be able to install a minimal working installation of an RPM-based distribution into a directory. The tool is analogous to the standard Debian GNU/Linux debootstrap utility. USAGE
To use this script you will need to be root. This is required to mount /proc, run chroot, and more. Basic usage is as simple as: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --directory /tmp/test This will download the required RPM files and unpack them into a minimal installation of Fedora Core 6. To see which RPM files would be downloaded, without actually performing an installation or downloading anything, then you may run the following: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --print-uris TODO
Short of supporting more distributions or architectures there aren't really any outstanding issues. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2011-2013 by Thomas Lange. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. 2.0.1 2013-01-28 RINSE(8)