Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable directory name in path Post 302354489 by glev2005 on Friday 18th of September 2009 09:58:12 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Variable directory name in path

I need to write a login script for multiple computers, however, one of the directories in question will have a different name from computer to computer.

Code:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/<unique filename>.default/myfile

For the directory named <unique filename>.default , I need to figure out how to get a wildcard going or set a variable so that I can create a file in a directory below it. All computers will have the .default extension on that directory, but different strings will preceed the dot. I imagine I can do a grep with a wildcard and then set a variable based on the results, but if that is the easiest way, I still would need help to accomplish it. Thanks for your time!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom directory path variable

I'm trying to write my first shell script and got a bit stuck with this: I've got myscript.sh that executes from /fromhere. If the script is run with the syntax ./myscript.sh tothere: I need to make a variable inside the script containing /fromhere/tothere ...and if the script is run with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chronomaly
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command fails when a space is in the directory path variable

I have a script like this running under OS X 10.8. The problem arises when the find command encounters a space in the path name. I need the "dir" variable as I'll be extending the script to more general use. #!/bin/bash CFS=$IFS IFS=$(echo) set dir = "/Users/apta/Library/Mail\... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apta
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Path directory is not parsing in awk

Hi All, i had to split one files into 10 equally. For that i have coded below awk. OUTPUT_FILE=/home/sit/path/Files/file_EXPORT.lst DIR_NM=`dirname ${OUTPUT_FILE}` awk -v CURR_DATE="$(date +'%d-%m-%Y-%H-%M')" -v pth=$DIR_NM '{print >> pth/"tgt_file_name"CURR_DATE"_"NR%10 }' ${OUTPUT_FILE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: looney
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)						   User Commands						 CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)

NAME
cd-hit-para.pl - divide a big clustering job into pieces to run cd-hit or cd-hit-est jobs SYNOPSIS
cd-hit-para.pl options DESCRIPTION
This script divide a big clustering job into pieces and submit jobs to remote computers over a network to make it parallel. After all the jobs finished, the script merge the clustering results as if you just run a single cd-hit or cd-hit-est. You can also use it to divide big jobs on a single computer if your computer does not have enough RAM (with -L option). Requirements: 1 When run this script over a network, the directory where you run the scripts and the input files must be available on all the remote hosts with identical path. 2 If you choose "ssh" to submit jobs, you have to have passwordless ssh to any remote host, see ssh manual to know how to set up passwordless ssh. 3 I suggest to use queuing system instead of ssh, I currently support PBS and SGE 4 cd-hit cd-hit-2d cd-hit-est cd-hit-est-2d cd-hit-div cd-hit-div.pl must be in same directory where this script is in. Options -i input filename in fasta format, required -o output filename, required --P program, "cd-hit" or "cd-hit-est", default "cd-hit" --B filename of list of hosts, requred unless -Q or -L option is supplied --L number of cpus on local computer, default 0 when you are not running it over a cluster, you can use this option to divide a big clustering jobs into small pieces, I suggest you just use "--L 1" unless you have enough RAM for each cpu --S Number of segments to split input DB into, default 64 --Q number of jobs to submit to queue queuing system, default 0 by default, the program use ssh mode to submit remote jobs --T type of queuing system, "PBS", "SGE" are supported, default PBS --R restart file, used after a crash of run -h print this help More cd-hit/cd-hit-est options can be speicified in command line Questions, bugs, contact Weizhong Li at liwz@sdsc.edu cd-hit-para.pl 4.6-2012-04-25 April 2012 CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)