Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help me name a fictional cat
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Help me name a fictional cat Post 302354216 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of September 2009 01:09:58 PM
Old 09-17-2009
the 'cat' command was sometimes used to display short files, but 'less' and 'more' are better for this.

You could also try working the Useless Use of Cat Award into this somehow. 'useless' isn't a bad name for a cat, really. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat of rows

Hello, I'm starting from the scratch with Unix, and I was wondering if you could give me an answer for this problem... I've got a column with different names of files, something like: ./file1 ./file2 ... Now, I would like to show the content of each file. The column with the names comes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalius88
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat and export

I have a file named filelist. the content is a list of files including the path. $ cat filelist $curdir/test1 $curdir/test2 I want to cat each file in the list, such as cat $curdir/test1, cat $curdir/test2. (The $curdir has been exported). it can't open the test1/test2, it can't change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven_TTG
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for cat help

Hi there, I have the following problem. I have a csv file which looks like 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION HEAVY,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,VARIATION,ANY,ANY,None,' but I do this for ab in $(cat test.csv); do echo $ab; done in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat with << >>

Hi, When I was analyzing the code I got below line. cat - << 'EOF' >> ${FILE PATH} I surfed net to understand but I couldn't get what is about. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)