Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using AWK in a for loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using AWK in a for loop Post 302354100 by fredrik.aslund on Thursday 17th of September 2009 04:57:36 AM
Old 09-17-2009
sed 's/\*.*//' deletes everything from first * on lines Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for loop in awk?

I am new to unix and have pieced together two scripts that work independently. The first checks all the filesystems and reports which are running low on space. df -m | awk 'int($4) > 75 { print $1 " has only " $3 "mb free from a total of " $2 ", this filesystem is " $4 " full! \n" }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bdawk
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for-loop and NR

Hey, I know this is a stupid question, but it doesn't work. I have a file with 10 lines and I want to pipe the content to awk and then print line 1 til 2 into another file and then line 3-4 ... So my script looks like that, but doesn't work: cat grid_ill.pts | awk '{ for (NR=1;NR<3;NR++)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - loop from a to z

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to do a loop on letters rather than numbers with awk (gawk). Basically I used to do: echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i=1;i<11;i++)print i}' But I would like to do something like that (which obviously does not work): echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk within a for loop

Hello, I currently have managed to get an awk function working inside a for loop that allows me to combine two files based on their headings but what I have not been able to do is print the output to files with variable names. awk ' NR==FNR {a=$0; next} /^>/ {$0 = $0" "a;} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with For loop

Hi My Requirement is to take the sum of each column below is the input file. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 Initial i was using below command to achieve my desired result. however this was adding the row and not column. i am not able understand why this is happening awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk !seen[$]++ in else loop

Hi all, I was searching the net for a solution for my problem... unfortunately nothing so far. I want to sort on more than on column tab delimited file and keep the line if in the column I sort there is no value, but for those who have a value I want them only unique. I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksenia
5 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)