Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking for FTP complete
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking for FTP complete Post 302354088 by clx on Thursday 17th of September 2009 03:52:21 AM
Old 09-17-2009
better way is to use advance ftp mechanism.
btw various work arround for that if you have normal ftp method.

you can capture the log and thn do grep/sed etc for finding out various messages related to transferred for failed.

something like:

Code:
count=$(grep -c "No such file or directory" ftp.log)
if [ "${count}" -eq 0 ]; then
  echo "file(s) successfully transferred."
else
  echo "unable to trasferred file(s):"
  ## if file is not found. you can grep the following message.
  grep "No such file or directory" ftp.log |awk '{print $1}' 
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking for files on ftp...

I have automated my ftp session as given in on of the previous threads as: #! /usr/bin/ksh HOST=remote.host.name USER=whoever PASSWD=whatever exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd directory print -p binary print -p get xyz wait... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jithinravi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ensure FTP is complete before using file

Hi, I have a program that checks a directory for new files. A file may be placed in the directory only via FTP from another system. The files are long, the FTP can take several minutes to complete. my program sences that a file has arrived but can't tell if the FTP process that sent it is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking the status of file ftp

Hi, I m new to unix and I need a help in FTp-ing a file. My script is given below ftp -n <<END_SCRIPT open $FTP_HOST user $FTP_USER $FTP_PASSWD lcd $TEMPFOLDER cd $FTP_LOCATION put $1 bye END_SCRIPT exit_status=$? if ; then log "successfully FTPed the file" else... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeeraNair
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp checking

I have a script to use ftp to transfer file from local server to remote server ( the command is put ) regularly , if I want to log what files are successful / unsuccessful transferred , and then re-transer these unsuccesful files , can advise what can i do ? thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking files in ftp location

I am having a requirement to check whether files were there in the ftp location and if the files were not there then need to send a mail to someone.Suppose there were files like A,B,C,D,etc.. if the file A was not there then mail to someone similarly for all the files. Thanks for your help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the size of a file after FTP

Hi I am doing a FTP process through which I am copying a file from my local server to Remote server. After this I want to check the size of the file Below is my program: LOCALDIR=/batch/ediprocess REMOTESERVER=test.appl.com REMOTEPATH=batch/ftpTest LOGIN=px PASSWORD=abcd ftp -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanth_chandra
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Scripts to move files via FTP with error checking

Hi Members, Can members please advise or suggest how to write UNIX script which move all zip files in source directory and when done delete zip files from source directory? We want to delete only on successful transfer to the destination. secondly want to add some error checking if the FTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dxj0815
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking FTP server file exist or not

I am trying to delete old file in ftp server, after transferring new file successfully . but here i am checking both the file available or not using ls command. if both the file available means i need to get file_new and file_old file size as greater than zero. but i am getting only for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elango963
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for substring in a loop takes too long to complete.

I need to check if the files returned by ls command in the below script is a sub-string of the argument passed to the script i.e $1 The below script works fine but is too slow. If the ls command take 12 secs to complete printing all files with while loop then; using posix substring check... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)