Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Size of swap partition during installation Post 302354020 by jlliagre on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 10:49:55 PM
Old 09-16-2009
HP-UX has indeed this bizarre approach by default and is the only current Unix lacking virtual swap. This design limitation can be partially overcome by enabling pseudo-swap.

Overcomitting memory is a different and dubious beast.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap

Hy all, i've a little problem with the size of the swap. I've an old solaris machine, with 4Go, and swap is taking 500Mo for only 1% used at any time. So : how can i change this size without problems ????? (ok it may be a stupid question, but it's a real problem when you lose about 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

5. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

6. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

7. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Solaris

/tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more

Hi, the /tmp size is less whereas the size allocated to swap is quite big. how to increase the size of /tmp - #: swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d20 85,20 8 273096 273096 #: swap -s total: 46875128k bytes allocated + 2347188k reserved =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psb74
2 Replies
allocate_fs_swapmap(5)						File Formats Manual					    allocate_fs_swapmap(5)

NAME
allocate_fs_swapmap - determines when swapmap structures are allocated for filesystem swap VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable is used to determine whether to allocate all needed filesystem swap structures during the initialization of the filesystem swap device or wait until they are needed. Pre-allocation of all filesystem swap structures upon initialization saves time during later usage of the filesystem swap, and prevents later allocation failure due to physical memory contention. Dynamic allocation decreases the memory footprint of the filesystem swap system. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Systems under heavy memory load may not be able to acquire enough memory to hold the swap mapping structures for an addition of file system swap. These calls to add swap would fail with the error though presumably they would be retried. Frequent failure on file system swap addition with would merit enabling this tunable. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? All the swap map structures for each file system swap device would be preallocated during swap initialization at kernel boot, increasing the memory footprint of the kernel. The amount of increase depends on the number and size of file system swap devices. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Systems with limited memory available to the kernel that also have limited use of file system swap devices should disable this tunable to decrease kernel memory usage. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? File system swap additions may fail with when memory contention is high. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters allocate_fs_swapmap(5)