Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Adding hdparm to system start-up Post 302353810 by Gunther on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 09:24:30 AM
Old 09-16-2009
Adding hdparm to system start-up

Hi,

I have read about a vulnerability that allows to lock any IDE/SATA hard drive with a password, unless the BIOS "freezes" the drive's (no-password) status.
Even though less secure, this protection can also be archieved by software (only few BIOSes have that feature). hdparm offers a "security-freeze" parameter for this.

So, I wanted to add a call to hdparm with the respective parameter to my runlevels. I did so by running "update-rc.d hdparm defaults" and editing /etc/hdparm.conf (removing the '#' in front of the line with the parameter and setting "ROOTFS" to /dev/hda).

Unfortunately, running "hdparm -I /dev/hda" still shows "not frozen", meaning that the protection has not been applied.

Could anybody give me a hint what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you,
Gunther

Last edited by Gunther; 09-16-2009 at 08:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

2. SCO

System will not start

I am running OpenServer 5.0.5a on a Compaq Proliant 800. When trying to start the system it goes through loading everything and at the end I get the following message. WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found H iinit ime Loadable Driver May be requiredG drain8042 PANIC: srmontfun -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlb1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xend cannot start in my system

Hi all,,i'm sorry if my post is repost..but i'm need help about my problem... My specifications is : Sony Vaio VGN CR-323 Intel Dual-Core T2390(1.86 GHz) Memory 2GB DDR Harddisk 200GB with Debian lenny 2.6.26-1-686 i'm install xen via apt-get install xen blah..blah blah root@hell:~#... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demhyt
4 Replies

5. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing script at system start up

Hi I had written a piece of script . Please let me know is it possible to run / execute this script at system startup ?? Thanks in advance . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start system console in ELOM?

Hi, The system is Sun x4150. I use putty ssh to access to it. I can't start system console: (hung) Any help will be greatly appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Script on system reboot

Hi, I have the following script that looks for a certain file and then executes the start.sh file. How can i make this process to kick when the box reboots. Please advice if ; then /u01/Essbase/Oracle//Middleware/user_projects/epmsystem7/bin/start.sh; rm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)