Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output Post 302353685 by skmdu on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 01:10:01 AM
Old 09-16-2009
@rhetoric101

Definitely I can tell you, what is the logic mistake in your code.

Your code is,
Code:
sed '
s/>[^>]*<\//\n&/g
:loop
s/\(\n>[^>]*\)_\([^>]*<\/\)/\1_Q\2/   
t loop
s/\n//g' a

In your code,

s/\(\n>[^>]*\)_\([^>]*<\/\)/\1_Q\2/ this line substitutes _ to _Q from right side ( not from left side).

1. In the first iteration, it will substitute This_is_a_test to This_is_a_Qtest
2. In 2nd iteration, it will substitute This_is_a_Qtest to This_is_a_QQtest
3. In the third iteration, it will substitute This_is_a_QQtest to This_is_a_QQQtest
and it will go keep on like this, it never ends.....

This is the reason that your solution works when you replace only with Q, not with _Q.

You can see how the sed substitues,by executing the following code....
Code:
sed '
s/>[^>]*<\//\n&/g
:loop
s/\(\n>[^>]*\)_\([^>]*<\/\)/\1_Q\2/p ## prints the pattern space.
t loop
s/\n//g' input

Hope this clarifies your question...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to delete a character

I built a 12 million record file and made a mistake, one field is 1 character too long. The record is 40 bytes and ends always in 999. I am trying to delete the 37 character in each record. Is this possible without doing a cut and paste. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bthomas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

repeat character with printf

It's all in the subject. I try to figure out how to repeat a character a number of time with printf. For example to draw a line in a script output. Thks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use SED to replace repeat statements

Hi I need to write a script that read a input file that had same statement repeatedly to replace only 2nd & 5th time repeated statements (ex: This is UNIX forum) with another statement ( UNIX forum threads in Shell programming) with out modifying 1st,3,4th repeated statements. I am planning to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: watsup
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete character 0 only when it's on its own?

Hi all I am trying to get my head around doing the following.... I have an input field that could contain either a number a blank field or a whitespace field. What I want to do is delete a 0 (zero) if it's on its own or leading the number. So:- \t0 delete the zero 0 delete the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - search/copy from one file and search/paste to another

I am a newbie and would like some help with the following - Trying to search fileA for a string similar to - AS11000022010 30.4 31.7 43.7 53.8 60.5 71.1 75.2 74.7 66.9 56.6 42.7 32.5 53.3 I then want to replace that string with a string from fileB - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)