Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create group in phonebook...
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create group in phonebook... Post 302353662 by coolgal on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 10:51:59 PM
Old 09-15-2009
Question Edit in shell script

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
Hi, I am creating the phonebook shell script to store the name, number and address of the people. I am stuck in one point.I have done to add new user, list user and delete the user. But i don't know how to edit. My file in store in the file phonebook.txt. It is in the format title:nameSmiliehone1Smiliehone2:address1:address2:groups. I need to edit the particular entry of that file. How can i do that? is there particular command. please help. Thanks in advance..

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

echo "*********************"
echo "MENU"
echo "*********************"

echo "1. Add new entries"
echo "2. Show all entries"
echo "3. Search for entries"
echo "4. Edit existing entries"
echo "5. Delete existing entries"
echo "6. Exit"
echo "Please enter your choice:"
read choice
case $choice in
1) addrecord;;
2) showall;;
3) searchrecord;;
4) delete;;
5) edit
esac

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

4. School (University) and Course Number:
JCU

Last edited by coolgal; 09-21-2009 at 01:57 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unable to create a group

Hi, I'm trying to create a new group on an AIX 5.2.0.0. server but am getting the following error: root:/root $ mkgroup debt 3004-698 Error committing changes to "debt" : Value is invalid. I've change the group name to no affect. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Phonebook Simple Shell-Script

Hi, I am new to Unix. I have a file with three colomns ( a list of Names and Tel. Nr.) ***************************** Name Firstname Tel.Nr. Muster Hans 001 123 456 789 .. .. .. .. .. ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aqa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create group in unix

Hi, I want to create group in unix. what is the command? how to create a group and add a user into that group? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create new group/delete existing group

Hi, please let me know the commands to create new group/delete existing group in unix and assigning users to newly created group. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
2 Replies

6. AIX

Create new Volume Group

Good afternoon all, I'll probably confuse everyone as I'm a Windows guy dealing with AIX 6.1 and can't quite figure out how to do something. I have a P520 server running 2 LPARs and we have an IVM (not HMC).Within the IVM under Virtual Storage Management, when I check the Physical Volumes, I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spellbound
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Create file for group of data:

Hi folks, I have the following data.Any help is greatly appreciated. order File_name 7222245 7222245.pdf 7222245 7222245a.pdf 7222245 7222245b.pdf 7222245 7222245c.pdf 7222245 7222245d.pdf 7222250 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar444
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Programming

Create a group of process

Hi all ! :) What I want? 1. All child process must be in the same group of process. Parent is a leader of the group. How to do this? I would be greatfull of some example of code, I read about setsid but I can't even start... My code so far: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattdj
2 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)