Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting removing carriage returns in text file Post 302353650 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 09:59:32 PM
Old 09-15-2009
Code:
$ 
$ cat f1
A
B
C

D
E
F

G
H
I

$ awk '{if (/^$/){print} else{printf("%s;",$0)}}' f1
A;B;C;
D;E;F;
G;H;I;
$ 
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing carriage return characters from file

Hello there, I need to remove carriage return characters (\n and \r) from any input file specified. This is what I am doing right now: - dumping the file to octal format using the command 'od -c file_name - removing and \s and \n characters using sed commands What I need to do now is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1saini
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces and carriage returns in 'here documents'

As the title suggests, i am having some trouble figuring out how to pass spaces and carriage returns to a 'here document' ie #!/bin/bash /usr/local/install_script.sh <<SCRIPT yes no <pass carriage retun here> yes no <pass a space and then a carriage return here> exit SCRIPT any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns with sed

How do we delete all carriage returns after a particular string using sed inside a K Shell? e.g. I have a text file named file1 below: $ more file1 Group#=1 User=A Role=a1 Group#=2 User=B Role=a1 Role=b1 Group#=3 User=C Role=b1 I want the carriage returns to be delete on the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add a Couple of Carriage returns to text file

I have a directory of over a hundred text files that I'm getting ready to merge with the CAT command. However there is only one space after each file; this makes the output look crowded. I would like to add two, possibly even four carriage returns at the end of each text file to make the final... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tg3793
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return in a file after particular string

Hi All, I want to remove carriage return in a file using some unix command without writing a script my file is as follows abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 I want the output as follows: abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 , Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TR not removing carriage returns

I have a CSV with carriage returns in place of newlines. I am trying to use tr to remove them, but it isn't working. Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Arnold,Adam 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Adams,Jim... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)