Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to save file
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers script to save file Post 302353562 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 03:36:54 PM
Old 09-15-2009
Code:
./program-which-extracts-data < "$input_filename" | gzip > "${input_filename}$(date +%F)..gz"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error info

Hi all, How to: Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error information. For example: I have a bash script called test.sh now I want to run the test.sh and display the output on the screen and save the output including error info to a file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon sine
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

open file and save as script

hi guys i have a problem with my file did not work as usual. The problem is i need to open the file and save as using same name and after that the file is work properly. Is it any shell script can do open the file and save as using same name..because i have thousand of file with the same problem (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulabc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to port a file from unix and save in windows

hi, when i finish running some scripts in unix...some csv file is getting generated...now im manually taking this csv file from this generated directory and using FTP, i'm importing to windows os and saving in a directory... please give me a script to automate this..so that i can add in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output to file - inside a script ?

I'm using the following script to check cisco router health and I'd like to save output to a file, vty_runcmd.sh > /check/check-cisco-health script works and output is saved to a file. However using it in crontab file is created but output is not printed inside it. In crontab, */5 * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script brokes when Ping file save

Hi, For some reason I was needed to ping some URL and save the output to a file through Expect script, following is a very basic of that script, but it fails everytime. When I just copied the same 'ping' line to normal Terminal and run, it runs fine. Please, help. #!/bin/sh spawn ping -c 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santanu4ver
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save the 'nmon' output to a text file with a script?

Hi all, I want to do an Unix Script to save the 'nmon' output on a text file and I don't know how to do it. I need a Script for each monitoring and also one to multiple monitorings. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javi1990
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT Linux: RHEL 6.4 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015 I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I need a script that will run daily that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_job_admin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)