Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script to Handle Quarterly Backup. Post 302353495 by Magshabib@gmail on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 12:36:22 PM
Old 09-15-2009
Shell Script to Handle Quarterly Backup.

Hi I'm not to shell script and I'm trying to write a simple shell code to do the following.

Shell script should be run in March, June, Sept, & Dec respectively to back up files last modified in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

I've have the following code.

#!/bin/csh
set v1 = `date +%b`

then i want to be able to take that date and if it equals Mar store it in a new directory called Q1 and so on.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a backup shell script

am writing my very first shell script and need some assistance. What I need help on is three things in particular. 1) Do I need to use the sleep function after the tar command or does the script know to wait until tar finishes to move on to the next line? 2) Did I populate the variable DATE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhm54
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

i'm new to shell can handle this script for me plz

Write a shell script named displayargs that prints FOUR lines. The first line tells the name that was used to invoke the script, the second line tells how many parameters there were, the third line tells what the last parameter was, and the fourth line tells what the first parameter was. For... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedah160
8 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Backup Shell Script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Create a script that will backup all important system files every Friday night and send an email to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjmpa26
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to print the first date of the previous month in 20130101 format. i use the below script month_year=$(date +'%m%Y' | awk '!--$1{$1=12;$2--}') m=${month_year% *} y=$month_year##* } d=$(cal $m $y | paste -s - | awk '{print $NF}') firstdate=${printf '02d01%s' $y $m) echo $firstdate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino1989
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello guys. I am a Brazilian, I use a linux machine, to access it using the program Putty. I own a GTA Multiplayer, I have a folder on my server named accounts, there is the account of all players. Each player has their own file, the files are saved as follows: PlayerName.ini I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimCarrey
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear friends, I need your help. I need to create a bash script which can loop through $source_dir once a month, and find the backup of the last day of a given month for each of the 2 file types, as can be seen below. Assume that source_dir="/backup/daily" Assume that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joemb
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger the script if it is first sunday of the quarterly month

Hello All, I have script which needs to be scheduled in crontab which needs to be run only on the first sunday of the quarterly months (March, June, September,Dec). Can anyone please help me out on this. Thanks, Arun. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun1992
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to handle commas inside the data when generating a csv file from shell script?

I am extracting data via sql query and some of the data has commas. Output File must be csv and I cannot update the data in the db (as it is used by other application). Example table FavoriteThings Person VARCHAR2(25), Favorite VARCHAR2(100) Sample Data Greta rain drop on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patk625
12 Replies
USE(1)								   User Commands							    USE(1)

NAME
use - Frontend to the Usepackage Environment Manager SYNOPSIS
csh and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh bourne shell and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh korn shell: . /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh use [-vs] [-f file] package ... use -l DESCRIPTION
Usepackage is an environment management program. It is based on the principle of packages - collections of executables that share a common set of necessary environment variables, such as PATH, MANPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For each given package, use sources the appropriate environment information into the current shell. The environment information is speci- fied in a configuration file, see usepackage(1). OPTIONS -v Output verbose information to the standard error stream. -s Silence warnings for un-matched packages. This is useful in a shell rc script when a package is known not to be available on all architectures that the shell is used on. -f file Specify an alternate initial configuration file. -l List available packages and groups. FILES
/usr/share/usepackage/usepackage.conf The default configuration file. /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh Shell setup for csh and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh Shell setup for bourne shell and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh Shell setup for ksh. /usr/bin/usepackage The underlying Usepackage executable. ENVIRONMENT
Other than the reading and re-definition of environment variables for package setup, use also uses the following environment variables for user configuration: PACKAGES_PATH Colon-separated path list giving the directories to search for configuration files. Shell-style tilde (~) user-directory escapes are expanded. HOME If present in the environment, this is used to provide the expansion for the tilde (~) user-directory. SHELL If present in the environment, the last path component of this is used for shell matching (see SYNTAX) and detecting the style of environment output that should be used, see usepackage(1). COPYRIGHT
Usepackage Environment Manager Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jonathan Hogg This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA SEE ALSO
usepackage(1), csh(1), sh(1), ksh(1) Usepackage $Date: 2005/12/11 16:42:09 $ USE(1)

Featured Tech Videos