Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace rows from...to in a file? Post 302353429 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 10:29:29 AM
Old 09-15-2009
Extract from f1 and insert in f2 and f3:

Code:
$
$ cat f1
start...
aaa
bbb
ccc
...end
$
$ cat f2
THIS IS FILE F2
start...

...end
END OF FILE F2
$
$ cat f3
THIS IS FILE F3
start...
...end
END OF FILE F3
$
$ ##
$ perl -ne 'BEGIN{undef $/; open(F1,"f1"); $str = <F1>;
>           $str =~ s/start...|\n...end//g; close(F1)}
>           s/(start...).*?(...end)/$1$str$2/msg; print' f2
THIS IS FILE F2
start...
aaa
bbb
ccc
...end
END OF FILE F2
$
$
$ perl -ne 'BEGIN{undef $/; open(F1,"f1"); $str = <F1>;
          $str =~ s/start...|\n...end//g; close(F1)}
          s/(start...).*?(...end)/$1$str$2/msg; print' f3
THIS IS FILE F3
start...
aaa
bbb
ccc
...end
END OF FILE F3
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count numbers of matching rows and replace its value in another file

Hello all, can you help me in this problem, assume We have two txt file (file_1 and file_3) one is file_1 contains the data: a 0 b 1 c 3 a 7 b 4 c 5 b 8 d 6 . . . . and I need to count the lines with the matching data (a,b,..) and print in new file called file_2 such as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFalcon10
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific rows in large files having rows greater than 100000

Hi Guys, I need help in modifying a large text file containing more than 1-2 lakh rows of data using unix commands. I am quite new to the unix language the text file contains data in a pipe delimited format sdfsdfs sdfsdfsd START_ROW sdfsd|sdfsdfsd|sdfsdfasdf|sdfsadf|sdfasdf... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish2009
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete rows in a file based on the rows of another file

I need to delete rows based on the number of lines in a different file, I have a piece of code with me working but when I merge with my C application, it doesnt work. sed '1,'\"`wc -l < /tmp/fileyyyy`\"'d' /tmp/fileA > /tmp/filexxxx Can anyone give me an alternate solution for the above (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows from file based on row numbers stored in another file

Hi All, I have a file which is like this: rows.dat 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 8 9 0 4 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 I have another file with numbers like these (numbers.txt): 1 3 4 5 I want to read numbers.txt file line by line. The extract the row from rows.dat based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving or copying first rows and last rows into another file

Hi I would like to move the first 1000 rows of my file into an output file and then move the last 1000 rows into another output file. Any help would be great Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a character of specified column(s) of all rows in a file

Hi - I have a file "file1" of below format. Its a comma seperated file. Note that each string is enclosed in double quotes. "abc","-0.15","10,000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1,000,000.50","OPR" I want the result as: "abc","-0.15","10000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1000000.50","OPR" I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace rows to column

I have a csv file and i want to convert its rows into columns sample file like this Row1,1,2,3,......,n row2,4,5,6,.......,n . . . . rown,7,8,9,........,n i want it like this row1,row2,....,rown 1,4,.............,7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace space in column with letter for several rows

I have a pbd file, which has the following format: TITLE Protein X MODEL 1 ATOM 1 N PRO 24 45.220 71.410 43.810 1.00 0.00 ATOM 2 H1 PRO 24 45.800 71.310 42.000 1.00 0.00 TER ENDMDL Column 22 is the chain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Egy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in different rows

Hello everyone, I'm a beginner in shell scripting and try to solve my issues myself, but now I am at a point where I need your help. Below is an excerpt from an xml file. <Position> <SKU>A/370269/10432/32D</SKU> <Batch>00320160501</Batch> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jacko
1 Replies
STRTOK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r - extract tokens from strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strtok(char *str, const char *delim); char *strtok_r(char *str, const char *delim, char **saveptr); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): strtok_r(): _SVID_SOURCE || _BSD_SOURCE || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The strtok() function breaks a string into a sequence of zero or more nonempty tokens. On the first call to strtok() the string to be parsed should be specified in str. In each subsequent call that should parse the same string, str must be NULL. The delim argument specifies a set of bytes that delimit the tokens in the parsed string. The caller may specify different strings in delim in successive calls that parse the same string. Each call to strtok() returns a pointer to a null-terminated string containing the next token. This string does not include the delimiting byte. If no more tokens are found, strtok() returns NULL. A sequence of calls to strtok() that operate on the same string maintains a pointer that determines the point from which to start searching for the next token. The first call to strtok() sets this pointer to point to the first byte of the string. The start of the next token is determined by scanning forward for the next nondelimiter byte in str. If such a byte is found, it is taken as the start of the next token. If no such byte is found, then there are no more tokens, and strtok() returns NULL. (A string that is empty or that contains only delim- iters will thus cause strtok() to return NULL on the first call.) The end of each token is found by scanning forward until either the next delimiter byte is found or until the terminating null byte ('') is encountered. If a delimiter byte is found, it is overwritten with a null byte to terminate the current token, and strtok() saves a pointer to the following byte; that pointer will be used as the starting point when searching for the next token. In this case, strtok() returns a pointer to the start of the found token. From the above description, it follows that a sequence of two or more contiguous delimiter bytes in the parsed string is considered to be a single delimiter, and that delimiter bytes at the start or end of the string are ignored. Put another way: the tokens returned by strtok() are always nonempty strings. Thus, for example, given the string "aaa;;bbb,", successive calls to strtok() that specify the delimiter string ";," would return the strings "aaa" and "bbb", and then a NULL pointer. The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version strtok(). The saveptr argument is a pointer to a char * variable that is used internally by strtok_r() in order to maintain context between successive calls that parse the same string. On the first call to strtok_r(), str should point to the string to be parsed, and the value of saveptr is ignored. In subsequent calls, str should be NULL, and saveptr should be unchanged since the previous call. Different strings may be parsed concurrently using sequences of calls to strtok_r() that specify different saveptr arguments. RETURN VALUE
The strtok() and strtok_r() functions return a pointer to the next token, or NULL if there are no more tokens. ATTRIBUTES
Multithreading (see pthreads(7)) The strtok() function is not thread-safe. The strtok_r() function is thread-safe. CONFORMING TO
strtok() SVr4, POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. strtok_r() POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
Be cautious when using these functions. If you do use them, note that: * These functions modify their first argument. * These functions cannot be used on constant strings. * The identity of the delimiting byte is lost. * The strtok() function uses a static buffer while parsing, so it's not thread safe. Use strtok_r() if this matters to you. EXAMPLE
The program below uses nested loops that employ strtok_r() to break a string into a two-level hierarchy of tokens. The first command-line argument specifies the string to be parsed. The second argument specifies the delimiter byte(s) to be used to separate that string into "major" tokens. The third argument specifies the delimiter byte(s) to be used to separate the "major" tokens into subtokens. An example of the output produced by this program is the following: $ ./a.out 'a/bbb///cc;xxx:yyy:' ':;' '/' 1: a/bbb///cc --> a --> bbb --> cc 2: xxx --> xxx 3: yyy --> yyy Program source #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { char *str1, *str2, *token, *subtoken; char *saveptr1, *saveptr2; int j; if (argc != 4) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s string delim subdelim ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } for (j = 1, str1 = argv[1]; ; j++, str1 = NULL) { token = strtok_r(str1, argv[2], &saveptr1); if (token == NULL) break; printf("%d: %s ", j, token); for (str2 = token; ; str2 = NULL) { subtoken = strtok_r(str2, argv[3], &saveptr2); if (subtoken == NULL) break; printf(" --> %s ", subtoken); } } exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } Another example program using strtok() can be found in getaddrinfo_a(3). SEE ALSO
index(3), memchr(3), rindex(3), strchr(3), string(3), strpbrk(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3), wcstok(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2013-05-19 STRTOK(3)