Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity how to Hide Passwords From UNIX ps Command Post 302353238 by bhagirathi on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 01:42:09 AM
Old 09-15-2009
how to Hide Passwords From UNIX ps Command

Hi,
By reporting the process status with ps, any Unix user will see the command line arguments
#ps -ef
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
lsc 13837 13825 0 May 11 pts/17 0:01 -ksh
oracle 4698 6294 0 12:00:40 ? 0:00 sqlplus -s system/manager
appluser 4229 4062 0 12:00:03 ? 0:00 sqlldr scott/tiger

So this is a security issue.
1.How the password should not be stored in a shell environment variable

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passwords?

The local policy is set in our LAN so that passwords have to be 8 characters and contain a capital letter, a small letter and a special character. Is Unix able to restrict users passwords to certain lengths and characters. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide Passwords

Is there a way not to display the password in the sys out when your korn shell script logs into sqlplus? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to hide files in unix

Hi all I am new to unix...... i am working on HP-UX I like to know how to hide files and how to view hided files created by other users also please help me Sireesha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sireesha NP
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About unix passwords.

How the unix is maintaining the password ? How it does the encryption and how the passwords are stored in the system and where it is stored ? How it is better when compared to other OS ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to hide command line parameters?

Hello I want to hide command line parameters of my programs/scripts to not to be seen with 'ps' command. How can I do that? thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide status value from awk system command

Hi, When i use the system( ) function inside a awk, i am getting the ouput with a 0 appended in a new line. Can someone guide me to eliminate the extra line containing 0. Ex : awk -F"|" '{print system("convert.sh" $1}' The output is displayed with 0 in a new line. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muruganksk
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide DB Credentials in unix

Hi, I my unix we have one file that contains all the database credentials. we are calling that file while connecting databse. I need to hide that file....other user should not view that file. How to do this. Please suggest me apart from permisstion(chmod) level suggestion. Regards,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to hide from UNIX strings - obfuscate or hide a literal or constant?

Hi, I need to somehow pipe the password to a command and run some SQL, for example, something like echo $password | sqlplus -s system @query01.sql To make it not so obvious, I decided to try out writing a small C program that basically just do echo $password. So now I just do x9.out | sqlplus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Hide command details in top?

I am pulling data from remote SFTP server via LFTP. I really like its features. I have executed following command through screen. lftp -u xxxxx,xxxxx -e "set sftp:connect-program 'ssh -a -x -i /sftp/user/downloads/.ssh/id_dsa';mirror -vvv -c /data/ /sftp/user/downloads/2014_ic; quit"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsycho
1 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)