Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting splitting words from a string Post 302352926 by suresh_kb211 on Monday 14th of September 2009 04:43:45 AM
Old 09-14-2009
splitting words from a string

Hi,
I have a string like this in a file,
Quote:
USER=SYSUSER,SYSTEM,/users/suresh/log
I want to retrive the words separated by comma's in 3 variables. like
Quote:
usernm=SYSUSER
passwd=SYSTEM
logdir=/users/suresh/log
How do i get that.plz advice

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

string splitting

Hi, I have a string like 'xyz' and i want to to split the above string into letters for comparision purpose. any idea pls. cheers RRK. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a string

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, Can any body suggest me how I can split a string with a delimiter as whitespace into words and store into a array. I have read a line from file, now I want to split the line into words and store in a array for further use. eg : the sky is blue want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a string with awk

Hi all, I want to split a string in awk and treat each component seperatley. I know i can use: split ("hi all", a, " ") to put each delimited component into array a. However when i want to do this with just a string of chars it does not work split ("hi", a, ""); print a; prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Need help on splitting string

Let's say I have a very long string with no spaces but just words stored in $very_long_string. $very_long_string = "aaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbccccccccccccdddddddddddd"; I can do this to split the string into 1 character each and store them in an array: @myArray = split(//, $very_long_string); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a string and putting another string in the middle?

Hello all! I'm trying to put together a small script that will take in a file name and attach a datestamp to the end of it (but before the file type extension). To illustrate... Before: filename.txt anotherfilename.txt After: filename_20090724.txt anotherfilename_20090724.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisoo411
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with splitting a string..

Hello I need help with the following. I have strings like #if defined(__def1__) #if defined(__def1__) || defined(__def2__) #if defined(__def1__) && defined(__def2__) && defined(__def3__). #if defined(__def1__) || defined(__def2__) || defined(__def3__). I need to print what is there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk splitting words into files problem

Hi, I am trying to split the words having the delimiter as colon ';' in to separate files using awk. Here's my code. echo "f1;f2;f3" | awk '/;/{c=sprintf("%02d",++i); close("out" c)} {print > "out" c}' echo "f1;f2;f3" | awk -v i=0 '/;/{close("out"i); i++; next} {print > "out"i}' But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words With Largest Strings First

hello, I had posted earlier help for a script for splitting concatenated words . The script was supposed to read words from a master file and split concatenated words in the slave/input file. Thanks to the help I got, the following script which works very well was posted. It detects residues by... (14 Replies)
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)