Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to replace one string, in a file, with another string from a different file ... Post 302352764 by Praveen_218 on Sunday 13th of September 2009 09:31:54 AM
Old 09-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by know d unknown
my understanding about ur requirement is ...you are looking up the value from password file and matching with it on a different column...

awk -F":" 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2; next} NR!=FNR{if(a[$1])print $1," ",a[$1]; else print $0 }' file2 file1

this will list all the values of file1...Smilie
Thank you very much for your response.
However, somehow I received a syntax error at the position of 'else'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Replace A String In File With A String Containing Windows File Path

Hi, I have a file with the following contents # Lines that start with a # are comments. # # Calling TOAD like this will perform a comparison from command line : # # "C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 9.6\toad.exe" -c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string and replace with string in other file

Dear all, I need your help, I have file like this: file1:23456 01910964830098775635 34567 01942809546554654323 67589 26546854368698023653 09778 58716868568576876878 08675 86178546154065406546 08573 54165843543054354305 . .file2: 23456 25 34567 26 67589 27 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)