Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restart a Daemon
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restart a Daemon Post 302352728 by kseng2002 on Sunday 13th of September 2009 05:13:51 AM
Old 09-13-2009
Restart a Daemon

Dear expert,

How do i restart a daemon ? I know to use the kill <PID> command to shut down the daemon. But after terminate the daemon, how to restart it back ? Smilie Please advice, many thanks in advance !!! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I restart X server ?

WITHOUT shutdown X ??? thanks , Ivan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oneivan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

its happend after restart.

From Sept 12th onwards i am facing some problem in the file permission. Normally the file get generated by a script with the permission 666 and from sept 12th onwards it get changed to 644 If we create a blank file using touch command it is with the permission 666, but the files which are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlytorobin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restart Script

Hi, I am writing a script and need to goto the start of the script if an incorrect command is wrongly entered what can i do. Andy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chapmana
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restart a CRON

If my cron has recieved a SIGTERM. How do I restart the cron? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddrivera
7 Replies

5. Solaris

sysedge restart

on a solaris box, if somebody restarts sysedge, which log file (path) can we look at to determine if sysedge was restarted or not? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Restart SMSPI

I know this sounds silly but im not sure where my smspi is located. I want to restart the services but im not sure where to look at. I dont have init.d in my /sbin : # cd /sbin # cd init.d -bash: cd: init.d: No such file or directory Its running at this time: -bash-3.00$ ps -ef... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart a script?

Hello, I created a shell script in /etc/init.d and it already runs at boot. However I cannot figure out how to make it run just like typing "scrip_name start" I can run it like this ./script_name but since I am doing remote log in whenever I log off the script stops and I also don't want to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

8. Solaris

sshd not able to restart

Hi, I was able to putty a few server (Solaris 10) of mine using hostname, but when i change to ip address, it shows login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Access denied I change PermitRootLogin to yes. I tried to do a sshd restart, however ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

An overall function as a restart...

This is going to rasie a few eyebrows... I have been thinking of running the WHOLE of the AudioScope project inside a function which I will call "restart()". A kind of wrapper function... This is so that should there be anything that the user has set be wrong then a _cold_ start could be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)