Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 (05/09) xNTPD Startup Failure - How to Fix Post 302352634 by iic1tls on Saturday 12th of September 2009 11:59:18 AM
Old 09-12-2009
Solaris 10 (05/09) xNTPD Startup Failure - How to Fix

Dear All,

I installed the Solaris 2.10 (05/09) download on a Sparc platform, and wanted to configure the network time protocol daemon (xNTPD) to work as an NTP client.

Of course there are many web sites that trumpet the advise to simply copy the ntp.client file to the ntp.conf file, and then issue the svcadm enable ntp command. However, after careful study, it was determined that this command HAD NO EFFECT. Specifically, when you issue the command svcs ntp, the following text is displayed:

# svcs ntp
STATE STIME FMRI
online 10:25:59 svc:/network/ntp:default

But if you request a process list and search for ntp, nothing is returned:

# ps -ef | grep ntp
#

Further examination reveals that the logfile for the ntp service:

/var/svc/log/network-ntp:default.log

Contains the following errors:

[ Sep 11 20:47:31 Enabled. ]
[ Sep 11 20:47:31 Method property group 'start' is not present. ]
[ Sep 11 20:48:56 Stopping because service disabled. ]
[ Sep 11 20:48:56 Method property group 'stop' is not present. ]
[ Sep 11 20:49:11 Enabled. ]

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
==================

Studying these sites:

MISAMAP JAVA: Config VNC server OpenSolaris

and

http://learningsolaris.com/docs/t-sm...-june-2005.pdf

The documentation contained in the second post provided a discussion of the Solaris Service Management Facility - the functionality that Sun developed to replace Inet.d.

Digging into the examples provided within this document, it was determined that the configuration of the SMF in regards to the xNTPD was incomplete/corrupted. This is significant because, as I stated in the opening paragraph, this was a brand new installation of Solaris on a Sparc Platform. So, in other words, we have a bug.

To enable SMF to correctly manage NTP, the following code was added to the SVC:/network/ntp:default script configuration for the ntp daemon:

(see absolute page 20 of the t-smf-devday-june-2005.pdf file)

start framework
start/exec astring /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
start/type astring method
refresh framework
refresh/exec astring /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
refresh/type astring method

After adding these lines to the configuration, the startup command sequence now works correctly:

svcadm refresh ntp
svcadm restart ntp

And a process list now shows the ntp daemon running correctly:

# ps -ef | grep ntp
root 2412 2105 0 10:54:24 pts/2 0:00 grep ntp
root 2358 1 0 10:25:59 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
#

QUESTION
For those of you that are highly knowledgeable in Solaris, can you please tell me whether or not I added all/correct variables to the SMF configuration? It works, yes, but is this the *correct* configuration? I have studied some of the other SMF configurations, but I was unsure reading them if this was correct.

Please advise.

THANK YOU!

Regards,
iic1tls

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris second cd failure

We have a problem on a Sparc Ultra 5 box when installing solaris. We boot from the CD-ROM then go through the install procedure adding IP address, domain, routing details, hard disk layout etc.. The problem arises when asked for the 2nd CD at this point you do get the option to "skip"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. AIX

xntpd startup...Is it safe?

Hi, Have never run xntpd before. I have my ntp.conf file configured with server, trace file and drift file. I commented out the "broadcastclient" entry since I only want to get the time from a single source. Port 123 is in the /etc/services file for tcp and udp. Port 123 has been enabled in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DenD
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] startup script on solaris 8

hi experts, i have some problem with my solaris 8 v890 server, is : the server running process called SS7 below is example process : PID STAT MODE HOST MUX OBJECT 384 ok LX|A USSDGmdn-1a spm/0 daemon 385 ok LX|A USSDGmdn-1a spm/2 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
0 Replies

4. Solaris

X server startup on Solaris 9

Hi, I have Solaris 9 installed on a SunFire V880. When the machine boots up, I get a message, "the X-server cannot be started on display:0". I searched the forum for possible solution, however, they are not applicable to my problem for two reasons: either the platform is different or the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: purveshkhatri
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Nis startup in Solaris 8

Hello How can I check to see when nis server is starting? I look at /etc/rc2.d/ but I don't see it in there. Every time we have power outage problem. I have to start autof service manual. So I think it might have to do with nis server services. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congngo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to fix bootstrap failure in unix V4.0D?

hi! my computer is... system: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB Operating System: Digital Unix Console(SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D That computer is used for radar display. Application run on Unix. I have a problem now. I can't boot dkc0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 11 Express - freezes on startup!

I seem to be having a very irritating problem with my Solaris 11 Express fileserver which I built for my small home business. The basic problem is that the system will hang or freeze about 20 seconds into booting up. Grub comes up fine, and I can select between pre-napp-it and current build. It... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smokin Whale
13 Replies

8. Solaris

Is there a way to debug the startup on Solaris?

Is there a way to debug the startup on a VT100 running Solaris 5? I have a problem related to file attributes that are resetting to there prior settings when the machine reboots. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimcz2it
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 startup scripts

Hi all, I have a server in maintenance mode and need to boot it up. Its due to a broken service "RepX". I need to stop the service from trying to start at boot up but i can't find where it is booting up from... it is not in any of the rcX.d directories and the two locations i have found it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
6 Replies

10. Solaris

JVM startup script in Solaris

Hi, I've installed dynatrace on a SunOS(5.10) & I need to update its agent path in JVM start up script. Where can I find or which script starts JVM? Some Details here : Java location : /<server location>/oracle/forms/FRHome_1/jdk/jre/bin Please help me in this. I did some research... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
2 Replies
ntp-wait(1)							   User Commands						       ntp-wait(1)

NAME
ntp-wait - Wait for ntpd to stabilize the system clock SYNOPSIS
ntp-wait [-flags] [-flag [value]] [--option-name[[=| ]value]] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
ntp-wait will send at most num-tries queries to ntpd(8), sleeping for secs-between-tries after each status return that says ntpd(8) has not yet produced a synchronized and stable system clock. ntp-wait will do this quietly, unless the -v flag is provided. This can be useful at boot time, to delay the boot sequence until after ntpd -g has set the time. OPTIONS
-n number, --tries=number Number of times to check ntpd. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default number for this option is: 100 The maximum number of times we will check ntpd to see if it has been able to synchronize and stabilize the system clock. -s secs-between-tries, --sleep=secs-between-tries How long to sleep between tries. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default secs-between-tries for this option is: 6 We will sleep for secs-between-tries after each query of ntpd that returns "the time is not yet stable". -v, --verbose Be verbose. By default, ntp-wait is silent. With this option, ntp-wait will provide status information. -?, --help Display usage information and exit. -!, --more-help Pass the extended usage information through a pager. -v [{v|c|n --version [{v|c|n}]}] Output version of program and exit. The default mode is `v', a simple version. The `c' mode will print copyright information and `n' will print the full copyright notice. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values will be returned: 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) Successful program execution. 1 (EXIT_FAILURE) The operation failed or the command syntax was not valid. 70 (EX_SOFTWARE) libopts had an internal operational error. Please report it to autogen-users@lists.sourceforge.net. Thank you. AUTHORS
Harlan Stenn NOTES
This document corresponds to version 4.2.8p13 of NTP. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp-wait option definitions. ntp (4.2.8p13) 20 Feb 2019 ntp-wait(1)