Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format problem of text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Format problem of text file Post 302352436 by repinementer on Friday 11th of September 2009 09:35:53 AM
Old 09-11-2009
Format problem of text file

Folks pardon me for trivial question. After searching the entire forum i decided to post this question.

I have a file with some numbers with commas like this
Code:

If i open this textfile with either notepad or wordpad they ae looking absolutely fine. When I open this with excel file the values are looking something like this
Code:

I tried Format -> Text command in MsExcel worked fine. and after saving the file If I open the same file again with excel still they are looking like 1,23456,789.

Do u guyz know how to get rid of this format problem

Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format a text file

I have a file that gets created by pasting 3 files together to get the one file. The output of the 3 files follows. sft.rtf c3_critappdb_u5 start 04:22:20 end 08:03:41 c3_critappdb_u6 start 18:01:31 end 20:21:19 c3_critappdb_u7 start 00:02:50 end 08:30:17 c3_critappdb_u8 start 17:00:42 end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhardy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Content format in a text file

Hi, I need to format the content in a text file as below format. Can some one help me how to approach? Also whether is it possible to convert the output to excel in column wise? Present: ============================================================================= Name: vinodh Status:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

format text file

i have a text file in this format: name1^A1^B1^ name2^A2^B2^ ... namex^Ax^Bx^ name1^AA1^ name2^AA2^ ... namex^AAx^ name1^AAA1^BBB1^ name2^AAA1^BBB2^ ... namex^AAAx^BBBx^ name1^AAAA1^ name2^AAAA2^ ... namex^AAAAx^ i want to generate a file: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busystock
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text format problem with xmail

Hi, I have a very weird problem when I try to send a text file to outlook using the xmail command. # cat -e dec1.tmp SPEEDY 23-MAR-2011 01:28 ok$ 99svpp pas d'information$ 98pdrt pas d'information$ 57METZ 22-MAR-2011 23:50 ok$ # cat -e dec2.tmp SPEEDY 23-MAR-2011 01:14, SaveSYST ==>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of spaces Text file into CSV format file

Input file (each line is separaed by spaces )given below: Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- -----... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to format column of a text file

Hi Techies I have written a script which is collecting the logs of job running on server and let mail me the output. I want to format column of output, please help. CCMS_BAU_from_CACHE RUN ETL_SUBSITE_TO_SITE_BAU RUN GetClient_Prep_Main RUN MDM_Client_BAU RUN Sweeper RUN... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format problem while converting text file to csv

Hi , I need a help in following scenario.I tried searching in google but couldn't able to find the exact answer. Sorry if i am re-posting already answered query. While i am trying to convert into log file into csv i couldn't able to get the format which i am looking for. I converted file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varmas424
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the text file for particular format

Hi All, Need your help!! I have particular host file with below format: 172.34.45.67 Host1 Host2 134.45.56.67 Host3 Host4 Host5 I need shell script snippet which read this file and change the format of the file to the below format 172.34.45.67 Host1 172.34.45.67 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format text file to html

Hi Experts, Anybody out there figure out on how to achieve in shell scripts or tools. I have done googling to find solutions but no luck. I have thousands of .txt files to batch process, please see the below sample text content after -------- start here --------. What I want to achieve is to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
10 Replies
FPUTCSV(3)								 1								FPUTCSV(3)

fputcsv - Format line as CSV and write to file pointer

SYNOPSIS
int fputcsv (resource $handle, array $fields, [string $delimiter = ","], [string $enclosure = '"'], [string $escape_char = " DESCRIPTION
fputcsv(3) formats a line (passed as a $fields array) as CSV and write it (terminated by a newline) to the specified file $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -The file pointer must be valid, and must point to a file successfully opened by fopen(3) or fsockopen(3) (and not yet closed by fclose(3)). o $fields - An array of values. o $delimiter - The optional $delimiter parameter sets the field delimiter (one character only). o $enclosure - The optional $enclosure parameter sets the field enclosure (one character only). o $escape_char - The optional $escape_char parameter sets the escape character (one character only). RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the written string or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ | 5.5.4 | | | | | | | The $escape_char parameter was added | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 fputcsv(3) example <?php $list = array ( array('aaa', 'bbb', 'ccc', 'dddd'), array('123', '456', '789'), array('"aaa"', '"bbb"') ); $fp = fopen('file.csv', 'w'); foreach ($list as $fields) { fputcsv($fp, $fields); } fclose($fp); ?> The above example will write the following to file.csv: aaa,bbb,ccc,dddd 123,456,789 """aaa""","""bbb""" NOTES
Note If PHP is not properly recognizing the line endings when reading files either on or created by a Macintosh computer, enabling the auto_detect_line_endings run-time configuration option may help resolve the problem. SEE ALSO
fgetcsv(3). PHP Documentation Group FPUTCSV(3)