Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Computing data in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Computing data in awk Post 302352355 by ubeejani on Friday 11th of September 2009 05:40:29 AM
Old 09-11-2009
Question Computing data in awk

Hello,
I am a newbie in programing. I want to compute the following in awk.
I have the following data file:

ID Value1 Value2 Value3
sade 0.21 0.45 23
foly 0.31 0.34 43
jude 0.40 0.11 63
jude 0.53 0.32 34
sade 0.67 0.49 66
foly 0.30 0.20 56

I want to take an ID “sade” , then take its value3 which is 23 and divide it with sum of value3 (23+66=89) like 23/89=0.258. then multiply it with value1 and value2 and then sum it.
For sade:
res=23/89
L1[ID]=L1[ID]+(res * 0.21)
L2[ID]=L2[ID]+(res * 0.45)

Now for the second “sade” record
res=66/89
L1[ID]=L1[ID]+(res * 0.67)
L2[ID]=L2[ID]+(res * 0.49)

Similar calculations for other IDs (jude,foly) as well.
Thank you so much for your help.
Regards,
Ubee

Last edited by ubeejani; 09-11-2009 at 09:30 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Trusted Computing

About a year ago, a friend of mine who worked on the OReilly Snort book took a propsal he and I had worked on for a book on Trusted Computing. Though the editor thought the content was good and worthwhile, he felt that there wasn't enough of a market to justify printing such a work. How many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Cloud Enabling Computing for the Next Generation Data Center

Hear how the changing needs of massive scale-out computing is driving a transfomation in technology and learn how HP is supporting this new evolution of the web. More... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help. how to compare a variable with a data array in AWK?

Hi all, i have a data array as follows. array=ertfgj2345 array=456ttygkd . . . array=errdjt3235 so number or elements in the array can varies depending on how big the data input is. now i have a variable, and it is $1 (there are $2, $3 and so on, i am only interested in $1). ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing the ratio of similar columns in the two files using awk script

Thanks Bartus11 for your help in the following code to compare the two files "t1" and "t2". awk 'NR==FNR{a=1;next}$2 in a{print $2}' t1 t2 First can anyone explain that what is the purpose of assigning a =1? Second, the current script is printing out the matched columns between the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coder83
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data

Experts , Below is the data: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Status available Allocatable yes VGDA 2 Cur LV 8 PE Size (Mbytes) 8 Total PE 4350 Free PE 2036 Allocated PE 2314 Stale PE 0 IO Timeout (Seconds) default --- Physical volumes ---... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Computing for linearly-interpolated values using awk

Hi, I want to compute for linearly-interpolated values for my data using awk, any help is highly appreciated. How do I apply the linear interpolation formula to my data in awk given the equation below: x y 15 0 25 0.1633611 35 0.0741623 desired output: linear interpolation at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)