Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting in a for loop
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sorting in a for loop Post 302352067 by Tártaro on Thursday 10th of September 2009 10:04:01 AM
Old 09-10-2009
Sorting in a for loop

when i use a for loop like this,

for s in *
do
echo $s
done

it give me the result in this fashion;

I need it sorted in numerical order, like this;

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the similar function in while loop or for loop

Dear all How to write the shell script for the following statement: (C programming) for (i=0;i<30;i++) { if i=1 continue *skip this number (To do function here....) ... } similar statement in while loop.... I wrote the script in sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trynew
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null Handling in Until loop. . .loop won't stop

Hi Im running this script, which is supposed to find the max value build some tables and then stop running once all the tables are built. Thing is , it keeps assigning a null value to $h and then $g is null so it keep building tables i.e. testupdateNUL. How can I stop this? Here is what I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandono66
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

S# in a for loop - concatenate $(loop counter)

Hi, hope I am posting in the right section. My problem is that I have 2 or more arguments passed and I want to check if the arguments passed exists or not. The first argument should not exist and the remaining others should exist. example: ./shells.sh argument1 argument2 argument3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fight4love
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset while loop to loop same file multiple times

Hi, I want to read file multiple times. Right now i am using while loop but that is not working. ex. While read line do while read line2 do echo stmt1 #processing some data based on data., done < file2.txt done < file1.txt # This will have 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting out unique values from output of for loop.

Hi , i have a belwo script which is used to get sectors per track value extarcted from Solaris machine: for DISK in /dev/dsk/c*t*d*s*; do value=`prtvtoc "$DISK" | sed -n -e '/Dimensions/,/Flags/{/Dimensions/d; /Flags/d; p; }' | sed -n -e '/sectors\/track/p'`; if ; then echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop or while loop from a text file

Hi all, i developed a script to measure the uptime of a process in a Solaris 10/11 environments. All is well, but i came across a situation where there are multiple processes of the same name. Basically i have the following result file: beVWARS 13357 19592122 beVWARS 14329 19591910... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
MYSQL_FETCH_ASSOC(3)							 1						      MYSQL_FETCH_ASSOC(3)

mysql_fetch_assoc - Fetch a result row as an associative array

SYNOPSIS
Warning This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_fetch_assoc(3) o PDOStatement::fetch array mysql_fetch_assoc (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
Returns an associative array that corresponds to the fetched row and moves the internal data pointer ahead. mysql_fetch_assoc(3) is equiv- alent to calling mysql_fetch_array(3) with MYSQL_ASSOC for the optional second parameter. It only returns an associative array. o $ result -The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mysql_query(3). Returns an associative array of strings that corresponds to the fetched row, or FALSE if there are no more rows. If two or more columns of the result have the same field names, the last column will take precedence. To access the other column(s) of the same name, you either need to access the result with numeric indices by using mysql_fetch_row(3) or add alias names. See the example at the mysql_fetch_array(3) description about aliases. Example #1 An expanded mysql_fetch_assoc(3) example <?php $conn = mysql_connect("localhost", "mysql_user", "mysql_password"); if (!$conn) { echo "Unable to connect to DB: " . mysql_error(); exit; } if (!mysql_select_db("mydbname")) { echo "Unable to select mydbname: " . mysql_error(); exit; } $sql = "SELECT id as userid, fullname, userstatus FROM sometable WHERE userstatus = 1"; $result = mysql_query($sql); if (!$result) { echo "Could not successfully run query ($sql) from DB: " . mysql_error(); exit; } if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0) { echo "No rows found, nothing to print so am exiting"; exit; } // While a row of data exists, put that row in $row as an associative array // Note: If you're expecting just one row, no need to use a loop // Note: If you put extract($row); inside the following loop, you'll // then create $userid, $fullname, and $userstatus while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) { echo $row["userid"]; echo $row["fullname"]; echo $row["userstatus"]; } mysql_free_result($result); ?> Note Performance An important thing to note is that using mysql_fetch_assoc(3) is not significantly slower than using mysql_fetch_row(3), while it provides a significant added value. Note Field names returned by this function are case-sensitive. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. mysql_fetch_row(3), mysql_fetch_array(3), mysql_data_seek(3), mysql_query(3), mysql_error(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_FETCH_ASSOC(3)