Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell script basic doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script basic doubt Post 302351956 by hi2_t on Thursday 10th of September 2009 04:35:03 AM
Old 09-10-2009
Bug shell script basic doubt

hi,
I am new script learner,
so my basic doubt is ,
how to store value of any command in a variable example
Code:
$ ls | wc -l

i want to stote the output of this in a variable c.
so that i can use c in if else loop.

and when do we use " ` " symbol in script..
can anyone also tell for learner whick ebook i should use..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certainly basic doubt about IF

On the below "IF" i test if the user have put the first argument. I also would like to test if the user have written a second argument. So, my doubt is: - How can i evaluate 2 conditions on a if statement? How is the OR created? - How can i to verify if the second argument is non... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmxps
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting basic doubt

Hi, I have a script called sam.sh which consists of a single echo statement like this #/usr/bin/ksh echo "Mani" I changed the mode for the script by giving chmod a+x sam.sh. If I want to execute the scrpt by just giving the name at the command line "sam.sh", what should I necessarily do?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script doubt

Hi, While reading a shell script ,i have come accross the following statements. script_name_full=$0 ***script_name=${script_name_full##*\} ***script_name_noexst=${script_name%%\.ksh} host_name=`hostname` ***host_name_short=${host_name%%\.*} can anybody tell me what is the purpose of marked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in running shell script

Hi, I'm a newbie in shell script. I have a problem in running my a.out in a bash shell script named vetri . The following is the code. #!bash/bin ./a.out abc.xyz where ./a.out is a c++ bin file and abc.xyz is an argument. My ./a.out expects an input (cin >> temp). How can I give the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchokka
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell Script Help

Lets say I wanted to create a script that would show what people are doing on my machine using the w command and refresh in about 6 seconds. What would be the easiest way to do this? I pretty much want the script to loop until I stop it. I'm using the BASH shell by the way. Help is appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c4391
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
EBOOK-CONVERT(1)						      calibre							  EBOOK-CONVERT(1)

NAME
ebook-convert - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
ebook-convert input_file output_file [options] DESCRIPTION
Convert an ebook from one format to another. input_file is the input and output_file is the output. Both must be specified as the first two arguments to the command. The output ebook format is guessed from the file extension of output_file. output_file can also be of the special format .EXT where EXT is the output file extension. In this case, the name of the output file is derived the name of the input file. Note that the filenames must not start with a hyphen. Finally, if output_file has no extension, then it is treated as a directory and an "open ebook" (OEB) consisting of HTML files is written to that directory. These files are the files that would normally have been passed to the output plugin. After specifying the input and output file you can customize the conversion by specifying various options. The available options depend on the input and output file types. To get help on them specify the input and output file and then use the -h option. For full documentation of the conversion system see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html Whenever you pass arguments to ebook-convert that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-recipes List builtin recipe names. You can create an ebook from a builtin recipe like this: ebook-convert "Recipe Name.recipe" output.epub SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> ebook-convert (calibre 0.8.51) January 2013 EBOOK-CONVERT(1)