Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"? Post 302351905 by pludi on Thursday 10th of September 2009 01:54:43 AM
Old 09-10-2009
It's not a problem, it just means that when the source package was created, the files were owned by the user 'owen' on that machine. When RPM installs a package it tries to set the same owner, group, and permissions, and falls back to root when the owner or group are not found.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error running COBOL - ".loader does not exist"

Hello. I am new to the unix environment. Currently, I am taking existing COBOL source code and attempting to compile and run on our new UNIX machine. I have succesfully compiled an object. When I try to run I get the follwing error: 0509-036 Cannot load program abeunix.o because of the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
16 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

4. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

5. AIX

AIX cp error: "A file or directory in the path does not exist"

Hello fellow UNIX fans, I'm running AIX 4.3 and getting an error message “cp: /a/file2.db: A file or directory in the path does not exist” when I run the following command: cp /b/file.db /a/file2.db It stops every time about 95% of the way through the copy process at 1,073,741,312 bits. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackson123
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allow particular user only to login as a root using "ssh" ?

Q1 I want to allow particular user only to login into root using ssh. I have set PermitRootLogin no for security purpose but I want to allow some of the users to login as a root using ssh how to do this? I have tried with Allowusers user1 user2 its working for only the user1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

7. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)