Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"? Post 302351866 by fishwater00 on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 09:46:18 PM
Old 09-09-2009
error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"?

I am trying to install openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm,

after I typed in " rpm -i openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm"

the following message comes out:

warning: user owen does not exist - using root
warning: group owen does not exist - using root

I am install openmotif under root account.

Do I need to use personal account? How can I fix it? Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error running COBOL - ".loader does not exist"

Hello. I am new to the unix environment. Currently, I am taking existing COBOL source code and attempting to compile and run on our new UNIX machine. I have succesfully compiled an object. When I try to run I get the follwing error: 0509-036 Cannot load program abeunix.o because of the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
16 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

4. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

5. AIX

AIX cp error: "A file or directory in the path does not exist"

Hello fellow UNIX fans, I'm running AIX 4.3 and getting an error message “cp: /a/file2.db: A file or directory in the path does not exist” when I run the following command: cp /b/file.db /a/file2.db It stops every time about 95% of the way through the copy process at 1,073,741,312 bits. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackson123
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allow particular user only to login as a root using "ssh" ?

Q1 I want to allow particular user only to login into root using ssh. I have set PermitRootLogin no for security purpose but I want to allow some of the users to login as a root using ssh how to do this? I have tried with Allowusers user1 user2 its working for only the user1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

7. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
RPMDB(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  RPMDB(8)

NAME
rpmdb - RPM Database Tool SYNOPSIS
rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} DESCRIPTION
The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root DIRECTORY] Use --initdb to create a new database if one doesn't already exist (existing database is not overwritten), use --rebuilddb to rebuild the database indices from the installed package headers. SEE ALSO
popt(3), rpm(8), rpmkeys(8), rpmsign(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmbuild(8), rpmspec(8), rpm --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc 29 June 2010 RPMDB(8)