Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu tar not reading if output directed to /dev/null Post 302351540 by ilikecows on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 01:28:04 AM
Old 09-09-2009
Does your OS have the equivalent of truss on Solaris. When a program is run with truss system calls are output to STDERR. If you have something like that running tar with that and then redirecting the output to /dev/null and a regular file might show you why it ends so soon.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null

Hi , I am importing some table from /dev/null i dont understand what is /dev/null Sorry i am new to UNIX sam71 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
3 Replies

2. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

3. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp output /dev/null results in not a directory

Hello, I am working on a script to measure the read performance of a busybox environment. The logical choice is to use a command line like: (time cp * /dev/null) 2> /tmp/howlong.txt Ah, the rub is cp or /dev/null will only accept a single file at a time. The result in the txt file is and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevesmo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the audio output to /dev/null

I'm using an text-to-speech synthesis in a script, and I need to redirect it's output to /dev/null how can I do that ? And how to redirect the stream to his normal output then (sound card ) ? thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firelink
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2>/dev/null

Friends have the following problem a search may not find anything which would correct example: ls -ltr *prueba.txt | nawk '{ print $9 }' > Procesar.dat 2>/dev/null When he finds nothing gives me the following error ls: prueba.txt: No such file or directory because 2> / dev / null... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies
procsystime(1m) 						   USER COMMANDS						   procsystime(1m)

NAME
procsystime - analyse system call times. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
procsystime [-acehoT] [ -p PID | -n name | command ] DESCRIPTION
procsystime prints details on system call times for processes, both the elapsed times and on-cpu times can be printed. The elapsed times are interesting, to help identify syscalls that take some time to complete (during which the process may have slept). CPU time helps us identify syscalls that are consuming CPU cycles to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -c print syscall counts -e print elapsed times, ns -o print CPU times, ns -T print totals -p PID examine this PID -n name examine processes which have this name EXAMPLES
Print elapsed times for PID 1871, # procsystime -p 1871 Print elapsed times for processes called "tar", # procsystime -n tar Print CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -on tar Print syscall counts for "tar" processes, # procsystime -cn tar Print elapsed and CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -eon tar print all details for "bash" processes, # procsystime -aTn bash run and print details for "df -h", # procsystime df -h FIELDS
SYSCALL System call name TIME (ns) Total time, nanoseconds COUNT Number of occurrences DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
procsystime will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtruss(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 Sep 22, 2005 procsystime(1m)