Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar argument -
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar argument - Post 302351453 by Vi-Curious on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 02:55:06 PM
Old 09-08-2009
If the name of the tarfile is "-", tar writes to the standard output or reads from the standard input, whichever is appropriate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. Linux

The install tar.gz package must be specified as the first argument!

I just tried to unzip the tar.gz installation file with gzip -d file.tar.gz and then tar -xvf file.tar. ThenI tried to install with command ./install.sh, i got the following error... The install tar.gz package must be specified as the first argument! Any one have an idea why this error.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAR Files Argument list too long error

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to TAR more than 50K files. Even though I can do TAR successfully on few 100s of files, but whenever Im trying to TAR the entire 50K files, I am getting the error message : Argument List Too Long. Please suggest how can i avoid this error. Im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies
deb-old(5)							    dpkg suite								deb-old(5)

NAME
deb-old - old style Debian binary package format SYNOPSIS
filename.deb DESCRIPTION
The .deb format is the Debian binary package file format. This manual page describes the old format, used before Debian 0.93. Please see deb(5) for details of the new format. FORMAT
The file is two lines of format information as ASCII text, followed by two concatenated gzipped ustar files. The first line is the format version number padded to 8 digits, and is 0.939000 for all old-format archives. The second line is a decimal string (without leading zeroes) giving the length of the first gzipped tarfile. Each of these lines is terminated with a single newline character. The first tarfile contains the control information, as a series of ordinary files. The file control must be present, as it contains the core control information. In some very old archives, the files in the control tarfile may optionally be in a DEBIAN subdirectory. In that case, the DEBIAN subdirectory will be in the control tarfile too, and the control tarfile will have only files in that directory. Optionally the control tarfile may contain an entry for '.', that is, the current directory. The second gzipped tarfile is the filesystem archive, containing pathnames relative to the root directory of the system to be installed on. The pathnames do not have leading slashes. SEE ALSO
deb(5), dpkg-deb(1), deb-control(5). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-old(5)