Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting unix grep Post 302351448 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 02:35:32 PM
Old 09-08-2009
Hello.

Per our forum rules, all posts must be in English.

We do provide translation services for posts from English to a number of languages as a benefit to users. However, posts must be in English.

Please repost in English.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shareware with the -B and -A grep fuctionality

Hi, Can anyone help me or tell me how I can get a unix shareware that will allow me use grep with the following flags -A and -B. the version of Unix we have dont have this. I am doing a grep on a log to capture any error but I want what is returend to be more meaningful. Thanks Amen. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aasemota
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix grep command

I need to seach all strings that matches "if ; then" in all files If i put grep "if ; then" *.* it is not giving any result (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep within a UNIX Script

Hi, I'm trying to save the wc from a grep command in my unix script and then later in my script I try to reference the variable but I have no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated! -------------------- set xTest = 'grep -i lisa daily.log' if ; then echo "TEST" >> daily.log fi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lisa_0801
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

finding pattern without grep in unix

how can i find related pattern in a text file without using grep command in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feint
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help using Grep with Unix

Hey there, I'm brand new to using Unix as I just started a course on it in my University, and I currently working through a worksheet which focuses on the many commands and methods of GREP (I'm working through the terminal command line in Unix). Currently I am confused with using Grep and vi in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SilvarHawke
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX question on grep

Dear Sir, I need to remove the word /klp/ in all the files present in the directories can you tell me how to remove the word globally. grep "/klp/" * -exec ls -l Once the above command is exectubed I could see lot of files displayed. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on grep syntax in UNIX

Dear Team /app/Appln/logs/ echo Session used server are 'grep -i pid|grep -i session | cut -d'.' -f1 | awk '{print $9}' | sort | uniq' Output - lxserver01 lxserver02 lxserver03 When I grep session pid in logs server details I can see above distinct server details but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
6 Replies

10. Web Development

JavaScript code - UNIX grep?

Hi I am new to JavaScript & haven't done much work with it, but have mainly experience with UNIX. I have a piece of code where I want to grep (excuse the UNIX language :D) for a id and get the number from that. { "time": 900, "avail": 1, "price": 0, "datetime":... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)