Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TTY Insane
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TTY Insane Post 302351439 by edfair on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 02:21:06 PM
Old 09-08-2009
Still open whether I'm correct or not. Serial is funny sometimes.
I would suspect that your issue was from one of the computers to the blackbox. Just supposin, since blackbox stuff has always been rock solid when I've dealt with them.
But you also have issues with timings. If clocks drift a little off things go bad. There usually is enough play at the end of the character to handle it. Combine some drift with some rc degredation and the line receivers may not be flipped in time for the UART to read correctly in the middle of the bit time.
I've got a permanent scar on my forehead from beating against those issues. Well, psychologically at least.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insane question : Playing mp3 file from Sun Sparc

hi, i know this is crazy. but i can do this from linux in intel platform. just wonder can my Sun Solaris 8 sparc can do the same thing? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
2 Replies

2. AIX

tty

Hi All can anyone tell me what is the meaning of tty,or give me an example of this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. AIX

Tty Over Run

dears i have two IBM p630 application servers, they are running hacmp 5.2 as the clustering software. from the output of errpt on one of the nodes i am receiving the following error: 9D30B78E 0530020007 T S tty1 RECEIVER OVER-RUN ON INPUT please are there any ideas about how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheEngineer
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pts and tty

hi iam very new to linux can anyone tell me about pts and tty acctually today morning i logged into my pc at 9:51 when i have given #who it has given sam tty7 9:51 sam pts/1 10:11 so what does it mean (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praneel2k
1 Replies

5. Solaris

tty hack

hi all, what i want to do when user open terminal like tty5 and do his work i want to see his terminal how can i do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xxmasrawy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insane redirection behavior

Hi guys, I know computers don't misbehave. But I'm puzzled by what's happening right know in a script : I simplified the example to point out what seems weird to me. Don't try to find any sense to this stupid script. There are 10 rows in /tmp/tmp.txt i=0 tmpfile=/tmp/tmp.txt while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Installing software -going insane

I have Solaris 10 update 11 installed on a virtual machine which I use for my lunix class (I'm studying I.T. but have little unix experience). So I have root access* I'm also do C programming in my course and would love to do it on my Solaris machine. So I looked into installing GCC and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goformickey
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-TTY-ASK-PASSWORD-AGENT(1)			  systemd-tty-ask-password-agent			 SYSTEMD-TTY-ASK-PASSWORD-AGENT(1)

NAME
systemd-tty-ask-password-agent - List or process pending systemd password requests SYNOPSIS
systemd-tty-ask-password-agent [OPTIONS...] [VARIABLE=VALUE...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-tty-ask-password-agent is a password agent that handles password requests of the system, for example for hard disk encryption passwords or SSL certificate passwords that need to be queried at boot-time or during runtime. systemd-tty-ask-password-agent implements the Password Agents Specification[1], and is one of many possible response agents which answer to queries formulated with systemd-ask-password(1). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --list Lists all currently pending system password requests. --query Process all currently pending system password requests by querying the user on the calling TTY. --watch Continuously process password requests. --wall Forward password requests to wall(1) instead of querying the user on the calling TTY. --plymouth Ask question with plymouth(8) instead of querying the user on the calling TTY. --console Ask question on /dev/console instead of querying the user on the calling TTY. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd-ask-password-console.service(8), wall(1), plymouth(8) NOTES
1. Password Agents Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-TTY-ASK-PASSWORD-AGENT(1)