Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove Tabs from file.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Tabs from file. Post 302351271 by protocomm on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 01:36:27 AM
Old 09-08-2009
For the tabs, the command line as follow works fine...

Code:
cat file (with tabs) | tr -d '\t'

This User Gave Thanks to protocomm For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove trailing blanks, tabs

Hi I need to delete trailing spaces, tabs and unprintable charactes from the file. This file has a number of blank lines which should be left intact. Another words I am trying to remove the junk at the end of each line. Does anyone come across the similar problem? Thanks a lot for any help -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n)

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n) from the exicting file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how organize my log file ( tabs )

hello i have written a multitask script which performs verifications on the server (RHEL 5 tikanga); based on list of rules. since the results are huge both in length and number and I am sending them all to my log file. Is there any method to organize the STATUS of my results in a defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goswami.c
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of below Tabs Tex file into CSV format file : shell script needed

Request if some one could provide me shell script that converts the below "input file" to "CSV format file" given Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- ----- ---------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix remove white spaces/tabs before & after pattern

Hi All, I wanted to know is there any way we can remove white spaces/tabs before & after some pattern { eg. before & after "," }. Please find below sample data below, Sat Jul 23 16:10:03 EDT 2011 , 12345678 , PROD , xyz_2345677 , testuuyt , ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces / tabs from variable in script

I want to remove extra spaces from variable in aix script. We retrieve the data from oracle database and then print the values. We have a value on 90th position. When we execute the query on sqlplus it shows the length of 90th position as 3, but when we use the same query in aix script it shows... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop is not reading tabs from the file

Hi, I am on HP-UX and K shell. When I am using while/for loop for reading a file. It is working fine but not reading tabs: Suppose, if the line is: ; ;COMP; ; ; ; then loop is reading as ; ;COMP; ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dealing with XLS file with multiple tabs

Hey Guys , Recently working on a requirement , i had to deal with XLS file with multiple tabs and the requirement was as below : 1. Convert one XLS file with multiple tabs to multiple CSV files. -- As i was working on MAC , so it was quite easy through APPLESCRIPT to deal with this.But... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies
XmTabListReplacePositions(library call) 								   XmTabListReplacePositions(library call)

NAME
XmTabListReplacePositions -- A convenience function that creates a new tab list with replacement tabs SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListReplacePositions( XmTabList oldlist, Cardinal *position_list, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListReplacePositions creates a new tab list that contains the contents of oldlist, but with the tabs at the positions in position_list replaced with copies of the corresponding tabs in tabs. A warning message is displayed if a specified position is invalid; for example, if the value is a number greater than the number of tabs in the tab list. This function deallocates the original tab list after extracting the required information. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using the XmTabFree function. oldlist Specifies the tab list. The function deallocates the tab list after extracting the required information. position_list Specifies an array of positions of the tabs to be replaced. The position of the first tab is 0 (zero), the position of the second tab is 1, and so on. tabs Specifies an array of the replacement tabs. tab_count Specifies the number of elements in position_list and tabs. RETURN
If tabs, oldlist, or position_list is NULL, or tab_count is 0 (zero), returns oldlist. Otherwise, this function returns the new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The applica- tion can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3). XmTabListReplacePositions(library call)