Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove Tabs from file.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Tabs from file. Post 302351268 by pludi on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 01:28:47 AM
Old 09-08-2009
Just checked (shouldn't code when tired):
Code:
perl -i -pe 's/[ \t]+//g' yourfile

If this doesn't work then it's not tabs you have to delete.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove trailing blanks, tabs

Hi I need to delete trailing spaces, tabs and unprintable charactes from the file. This file has a number of blank lines which should be left intact. Another words I am trying to remove the junk at the end of each line. Does anyone come across the similar problem? Thanks a lot for any help -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n)

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n) from the exicting file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how organize my log file ( tabs )

hello i have written a multitask script which performs verifications on the server (RHEL 5 tikanga); based on list of rules. since the results are huge both in length and number and I am sending them all to my log file. Is there any method to organize the STATUS of my results in a defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goswami.c
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of below Tabs Tex file into CSV format file : shell script needed

Request if some one could provide me shell script that converts the below "input file" to "CSV format file" given Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- ----- ---------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix remove white spaces/tabs before & after pattern

Hi All, I wanted to know is there any way we can remove white spaces/tabs before & after some pattern { eg. before & after "," }. Please find below sample data below, Sat Jul 23 16:10:03 EDT 2011 , 12345678 , PROD , xyz_2345677 , testuuyt , ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces / tabs from variable in script

I want to remove extra spaces from variable in aix script. We retrieve the data from oracle database and then print the values. We have a value on 90th position. When we execute the query on sqlplus it shows the length of 90th position as 3, but when we use the same query in aix script it shows... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop is not reading tabs from the file

Hi, I am on HP-UX and K shell. When I am using while/for loop for reading a file. It is working fine but not reading tabs: Suppose, if the line is: ; ;COMP; ; ; ; then loop is reading as ; ;COMP; ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dealing with XLS file with multiple tabs

Hey Guys , Recently working on a requirement , i had to deal with XLS file with multiple tabs and the requirement was as below : 1. Convert one XLS file with multiple tabs to multiple CSV files. -- As i was working on MAC , so it was quite easy through APPLESCRIPT to deal with this.But... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies
UNIVERSAL::require(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     UNIVERSAL::require(3)

NAME
UNIVERSAL::require - require() modules from a variable SYNOPSIS
# This only needs to be said once in your program. require UNIVERSAL::require; # Same as "require Some::Module" my $module = 'Some::Module'; $module->require or die $@; # Same as "use Some::Module" BEGIN { $module->use or die $@ } DESCRIPTION
If you've ever had to do this... eval "require $module"; to get around the bareword caveats on require(), this module is for you. It creates a universal require() class method that will work with every Perl module and its secure. So instead of doing some arcane eval() work, you can do this: $module->require; It doesn't save you much typing, but it'll make alot more sense to someone who's not a ninth level Perl acolyte. Methods require my $return_val = $module->require or die $@; my $return_val = $module->require($version) or die $@; This works exactly like Perl's require, except without the bareword restriction, and it doesn't die. Since require() is placed in the UNIVERSAL namespace, it will work on any module. You just have to use UNIVERSAL::require somewhere in your code. Should the module require fail, or not be a high enough $version, it will simply return false and not die. The error will be in $@ as well as $UNIVERSAL::require::ERROR. $module->require or die $@; use my $require_return = $module->use or die $@; my $require_return = $module->use(@imports) or die $@; Like "UNIVERSAL::require", this allows you to "use" a $module without having to eval to work around the bareword requirement. It returns the same as require. Should either the require or the import fail it will return false. The error will be in $@. If possible, call this inside a BEGIN block to emulate a normal "use" as closely as possible. BEGIN { $module->use } SECURITY NOTES
UNIVERSAL::require makes use of "eval STRING". In previous versions of UNIVERSAL::require it was discovered that one could craft a class name which would result in code being executed. This hole has been closed. The only variables now exposed to "eval STRING" are the caller's package, filename and line which are not tainted. UNIVERSAL::require is taint clean. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001, 2005 by Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html AUTHOR
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> SEE ALSO
Module::Load, "require" in perlfunc, <http://dev.perl.org/rfc/253.pod> perl v5.16.2 2009-03-30 UNIVERSAL::require(3)