Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Increasing disk space of a mount point. Post 302351056 by Targ on Monday 7th of September 2009 03:08:58 AM
Old 09-07-2009
@jlliagre, this disk am trying to expand is a stand alone</dev/dsk/c3t50001FE1500.........>, not under any volume management system, so am wondering, would growfs realise the added space?

this error i get;
/usr/sbin/growfs -M /cdrbackup /dev/rdsk/c3t50001FE15003CD29d1s4
/usr/sbin/growfs: devinfo: not found
growfs: cannot get partition size

Last edited by Targ; 09-07-2009 at 04:34 AM..
Targ

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Increase in space in mount point.

I am working in AIX 4.3.3 , here when we are doing one activity we ran out of space in one mount point, we need to increase the space in that mout point by reducing it in another mount point, can anybody help me out in carrying this activity. Vipin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin77
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing swap space

I searched the archives first, but found that there are alot of mixed answers on whether swap space can or can not be increased. Some postings said swap space can be increased using the swap or growfs commands while other postings said you can not increase the permanent size of the swap space. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings, I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space. I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Increasing allocated space to a mount - possible?

Hey guys, I am somewhat new to Solaris - and very new when it comes to mounts. My problem is that when I installed Solaris, I allocated way too little diskspace to my / mount (it first became obvious now, however, because of new needs). bash-3.00# df -h Filesystem size ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for Server Mount Point space check

Does anybody have anything I can use to help me out with this one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbone007
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to know used disk space at a mount point?

how to check how much space is occupied when u softmount or hard mount a file? ---------- Post updated at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:24 AM ---------- can anyone send me the answer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: revathireddy
2 Replies

7. Solaris

archive logs mount point space check script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. -------------------------------------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the space for /archlog mount point script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. -------------------------------------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Checking the space for /archlog mount point script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. #!/usr/bin/ksh export MAIL_LIST="tlr.voora@zamn.com" export ARCH_STATUS=`df -k... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point? IN AIX

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point Best if there step that i can follow or execute before i mount or add diskspace IN AIX Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
2 Replies
xfs_growfs(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                xfs_growfs(8)

NAME
xfs_growfs, xfs_info - expand an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_growfs [ -dilnrxV ] [ -D size ] [ -e rtextsize ] [ -L size ] [ -m maxpct ] [ -t mtab ] [ -R size ] mount-point xfs_info [ -t mtab ] mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_growfs expands an existing XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be grown (see mount(8)). The existing contents of the filesystem are undisturbed, and the added space becomes available for additional file storage. xfs_info is equivalent to invoking xfs_growfs with the -n option (see discussion below). OPTIONS
-d | -D size Specifies that the data section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -D size option is given, the data section is grown to that size, otherwise the data section is grown to the largest size possible with the -d option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. -e Allows the real-time extent size to be specified. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -r extsize=nnnn. -i The new log is an internal log (inside the data section). [NOTE: This option is not implemented] -l | -L size Specifies that the log section of the filesystem should be grown, shrunk, or moved. If the -L size option is given, the log section is changed to be that size, if possible. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The size of an internal log must be smaller than the size of an allocation group (this value is printed at mkfs(8) time). If neither -i nor -x is given with -l, the log contin- ues to be internal or external as it was before. [NOTE: These options are not implemented] -m Specify a new value for the maximum percentage of space in the filesystem that can be allocated as inodes. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -i maxpct=nn. -n Specifies that no change to the filesystem is to be made. The filesystem geometry is printed, and argument checking is performed, but no growth occurs. -r | -R size Specifies that the real-time section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -R size option is given, the real-time section is grown to that size, otherwise the real-time section is grown to the largest size possible with the -r option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The filesystem does not need to have contained a real-time section before the xfs_growfs operation. -t Specifies an alternate mount table file (default is /proc/mounts if it exists, else /etc/mtab). This is used when working with filesystems mounted without writing to /etc/mtab file - refer to mount(8) for further details. -V Prints the version number and exits. The mount-point argument is not required with -V. xfs_growfs is most often used in conjunction with logical volumes (see md(4) and lvm(8) on Linux). However, it can also be used on a regu- lar disk partition, for example if a partition has been enlarged while retaining the same starting block. PRACTICAL USE
Filesystems normally occupy all of the space on the device where they reside. In order to grow a filesystem, it is necessary to provide added space for it to occupy. Therefore there must be at least one spare new disk partition available. Adding the space is often done through the use of a logical volume manager. SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), md(4), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_growfs(8)