Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: www-csli
Top Forums Web Development www-csli Post 302350930 by pludi on Sunday 6th of September 2009 01:36:24 PM
Old 09-06-2009
Short Answer: because they can

Long Answer: because the string 'www' does not identify the service provided. The 'name' of a site is just an alias for the IP of the computer serving the site. All transfer is done using the IP address. In order to find out what IP address belongs to which computer, the DNS network is queried, which maps the URL to an address, and one IP can serve more than one URLs. The identification of which service is used is done by the protocol part of the URL, eg http:// or ftp://, which the client application (eg. the browser) will translate to a certain port (eg. Port 80/TCP). Sites like freshmeat.net even do away with the 'www' part completely.
In larger installations the distinction using the URL is/was done to distinct between server for HTTP (www), FTP (ftp), or E-Mail (smtp/pop).

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create a ~/www directory?

Hey, How do I create a ~/www directory in Linux. I want to make a web space for a few perl scripts I need to test. I have an account on a Linux server and I am telnetting to the account from a windows 2000 machine. How can I actually make a virtual directory? I know by creating a www... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradnoir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permissions on www

I recently purchased an account at a web host provider. When I logged into my file system for the first time to check the file permissions, I noticed that the file permissions on the www folder where like this: drwxr-x--- The index.html file was in the www folder as expected. If I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vic20
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

www.unix.com

Of late, when i start www.unix.com my system is going to 100% CPU and takes lot of time to get the information. I think this is happening after adding the graphics on the page. Has anyone seen this problem..Sorry to post this here.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

www.caldera.com

what happened with www.caldera.com or www.sco.com? i cant access the sites 10 days now. I try from my home pc, from internet cafe,from my work. Can you access these sites? I live in Greece. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalco
2 Replies

5. Programming

WWW::Mechanize Question

We've been running perl scripts using the www::mechanize module on a linux box with no issues, however we just implemented the same scripts on an aix machine, aix 6.1, perl 5.8.8, and I am running into the issue with Content_Encoding: gzip in the returned html. I can't read it in that it is coming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: islanderman
0 Replies
wdel(1) 						    Internet Applications - FTP 						   wdel(1)

NAME
wdel - A wget-like program for deleting files on ftp servers SYNOPSIS
wdel [option]... [URL [file]...]... DESCRIPTION
Wdel is a free utility that is able to delete files on an ftp server. Wdel is non-interactive and background-capable. It can delete files or whole directories and is meant to be a robust client even for unsta- ble connections and will therefore retry to delete a file, if the connection broke. Wdel supports connections through proxies, allowing you to use it in an environment that can access the internet only via a proxy or to provide anonymity by hiding your ip-address to the server. For SOCKSv5-proxies Wdel supports also listening mode, allowing you to use port-mode ftp through a proxy (useful if the remote ftp is behind a firewall or a gateway). URL-Input-Handling URLs are recognized by the ftp://-prefix. Wdel first reads the URLs from the command line, and associates every file with the last URL until a new URL is found (note that this is different from wput). Then, it reads the --input-file (if any) and parses the URLs in the same way. So you can specify e.g. one URL and read all filenames from a file. If there are no explicit filenames given for a singe URL, then the last part of the URL is taken to be the file/directory to be deleted. If there are filenames, then the last part of the URL is considered to be the directory where these files reside in. Slashes at the end of the URL or the filename (in case it is a directory to be deleted) are ignored. OPTIONS
There are no special options introduced by Wdel. All of Wput's options may be supplied, although some will not be of any effect because they do not apply for the process of deleting files. Please see wput(1) for a description of the options. SEE ALSO
Many options can be set in a wputrc file. For its documentation consult the sample file provided by Wput. wput(1) describes all setable options. Not all apply for wdel too though. AUTHOR
Wdel is written by Hagen Fritsch <fritsch+wdel-man@in.tum.de> and Jan Larres <jan@majutsushi.net> Hagen Fritsch, Jan Larres 0.6.2 wdel(1)