Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Old XFree86 configuration error Post 302350917 by semash! on Sunday 6th of September 2009 11:28:44 AM
Old 09-06-2009
Old XFree86 configuration error

Hello experts,

I installed an old linux distribution and i'm having troubles with the XFree86 server.

The thing is, when i run XF86Setup, X server and windows actually works, because i can get the graphical configuration screen, but when i'm "done" and save the changes to the config file and try to 'startx', the screen stays in totally black.

I don't know what to do to make X work, is there a way to tell XFree86 to use the same X default configuration that it uses when loads the XF86Setup?

I've tried every single driver, XF86_AGX, XF86_Mono, XF86_VGA16, and so on, and none of them work, some causes errors, and others set the screen in black.

Please help! S.O.S.
This thing is driving me insane.... Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xfree86 configuration

I've been trying to configure XFree86, and the first times that I have, it will only run at 320x? resolution.. I have an ATI card, and I've tried using the /stand/sysinstall graphical configuration method, and I've tried xf86config as well, both render the same results. that was before i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adn
3 Replies

2. Programming

XFree86

So where do we post questions about developing for X? Or do we just not do that here? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gekko
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

XFREE86 4.2 question

Hi folkss... I just install Freebsd 4.5 mini disk which install only the core FREEBSD system nothing else. I then want to install KDE 3.0 so I install XFREE86 4.2 and I installed both of these programs successfully with pkg_add "filename.tgz" I also install wrapper.tgz for "startx"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helpme2
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Installing XFREE86 4.2 question

Hi folksss.. I will ask similiar to my previous post. Have anyone successfully install XFree86 ver. 4.2 on FREEBSD 4.5 from scratch ??? If U do, please provide step by step how U do it. Do U use graphic user interface to setup the hardware configuration or DOS configuration ? I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpme2
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling XFRee86 4.2.0

i am currently trying to compile XFree86 under redhat 7.3. i am used to ./configure make make install, but i know that xfree86 is very different. what are the basic steps for building it. i already have read the documentation, but it wasn't of much help. it was erroring out on the imake. i don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: choasforages
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X.Org and XFree86

X.Org just released a new version of their X (X11R6.7). Besides Liscense stuff, what is better about X.org then XFree? What is better about XFree then X.org? Also: Will my fglrx (ATI) or nvidia drivers (designed for XFree86 4.3) work on X.org? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkrockguy318
2 Replies

7. BSD

Problems with Xfree86

Hi to all! I'm very novice in Unix/Linux. I installed FreeBSD 4.10 in my pentium II 450mhz 64MB 4.300GB more than 5 times and the error continues... In the line mode i type "startx" (to enter in X)...but show me a message : FATAL SERVER ERROR NO SCREENS FOUND X CONNECTION TO :0.0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
6 Replies

8. BSD

again XFree86

hi everybody i installed FreeBSD 5.x on a box with a video card Diamond SpeedStar A90 and a Fujitsu Siemens Monitor B772-1 when i do "startx" it gives me something like this: fatal error: no devices detected no screen detected i'm lost...i don't know what to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
3 Replies

9. BSD

XFree86 4.5 problem

Hello, i have a S3 Trio64V+ card. I installed last release of XFree under FreeBSD 5.4. I do xf86config, but when i try startx i have this error: nsinternal# startx XFree86 Version 4.5.0 Release Date: 16 March 2005 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0 Build Operating System: FreeBSD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesf
1 Replies

10. Programming

xlib blues (XFree86 - Linux)

My goal is to open a window in the X-server and plot a series of pixels. However, I find many examples I have tried to draw to a window fail and the window remains blank. Therefore, I am here requesting information. I do not know c, and am a beginner. Currently, I am using a mix-match of code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alux
1 Replies
XDPYINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XDPYINFO(1)

NAME
xdpyinfo - display information utility for X SYNOPSIS
xdpyinfo [-display displayname] [-queryExtensions] [-ext extension-name] DESCRIPTION
Xdpyinfo is a utility for displaying information about an X server. It is used to examine the capabilities of a server, the predefined values for various parameters used in communicating between clients and the server, and the different types of screens and visuals that are available. By default, numeric information (opcode, base event, base error) about protocol extensions is not displayed. This information can be obtained with the -queryExtensions option. Use of this option on servers that dynamically load extensions will likely cause all possible extensions to be loaded, which can be slow and can consume significant server resources. Detailed information about a particular extension is displayed with the -ext extensionName option. If extensionName is all, information about all extensions supported by both xdpyinfo and the server is displayed. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY To get the default host, display number, and screen. SEE ALSO
X(7), xprop(1), xrdb(1), xwininfo(1), xdriinfo(1), xvinfo(1), glxinfo(1) AUTHOR
Jim Fulton, MIT X Consortium Support for the XFree86-VidModeExtension, XFree86-DGA, XFree86-Misc, and XKB extensions added by Joe Moss X Version 11 xdpyinfo 1.3.0 XDPYINFO(1)