Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting a file without Prompt Post 302350830 by mrtiller on Saturday 5th of September 2009 04:38:35 PM
Old 09-05-2009
make sure rm is not aliased to something like "rm -i" by doing

Code:
type rm

If it is, you can bypass the alias by doing

Code:
/bin/rm file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect, save to file and remove before prompt

I have an Expect script which works very well. It logs into my remote routers and runs some commands and then to the next until finished. I need two things, first I need to save the output to a file from where the log_user 1 begins. expect << EOF set timeout 15 #set var "exit " match_max... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numele
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trimming a file from command prompt!

I have a text file. I want the top 100 lines of this file to be deleted that too from command line using minimum command input. Please tell! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RCS register a file without the prompt

Hi there, I'm very new to UNIX. I'm writing a script (tcsh / Solaris) in which a file is created and then it needs to be registered using RCS. The problem is that on running the command "ci -u myfile" I keep getting prompted to "enter description, terminated with single '.' or end of file:" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: js8765
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting file basing on the timestamp substring in the file name

Hello, I have in my backup folder, files with names convention like this : randomFileNames_13-02-2014_23h13m09+1392333189 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_02h13m09+1392343989 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_04h13m09+1392351189 etc.... Base on timestamp at end of the filename, I would to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuyetti
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo prompt and redirecting the output to a file

Hi Help, I have a script which looks like below. echo "Train count??" set train_count = $< cat tmp | awk -v var=${train_count} '{print $0"var"}' > tmp The echo "Train Count??" does not show up in the terminal due to redirecting to output file tmp. How is it possible to have the prompt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
OD(1)									FSF								     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od --traditional [FILE] [[+]OFFSET [[+]LABEL]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. All arguments to long options are mandatory for short options. -A, --address-radix=RADIX decide how file offsets are printed -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -s, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w, --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line --traditional accept arguments in traditional form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters -b same as -t oC, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select ASCII characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal shorts -f same as -t fF, select floats -h same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts -i same as -t d2, select decimal shorts -l same as -t d4, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal shorts -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts For older syntax (second call format), OFFSET means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal, suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character c ASCII character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in doux, SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). RADIX is d for decimal, o for octal, x for hexadecimal or n for none. BYTES is hexadecimal with 0x or 0X prefix, it is multiplied by 512 with b suffix, by 1024 with k and by 1048576 with m. Adding a z suffix to any type adds a display of printable characters to the end of each line of output. --string without a number implies 3. --width without a number implies 32. By default, od uses -A o -t d2 -w 16. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info od should give you access to the complete manual. od (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 OD(1)