Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To convert a date(in string format) to unix timestamp Post 302350545 by abovais on Friday 4th of September 2009 07:10:55 AM
Old 09-04-2009
MySQL

If you know the date then just use..

echo "Mar 31 2009" | awk '{print $1 " " $2-1 " " $3}'

or else to print yesterday's date use...

date | awk '{print $3-1 " " $2 " " $6}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert from timestamp to date format in tcsh

hello all im looking for fast way to convert timestamp format to date format and vaiseversa in tcsh , can it be done? thanks allot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert unix date to readable format

Dear Experts, I need your help to convert a unix date and time format number in to readable format like dd/mm/yyyy . I have a text file of more than 10,000 records and it is like NAME DATE1 COUNTRY DATE2 ABD 1223580395699 USA 1223580395699... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
3 Replies

3. AIX

Convert unix timestamp to year month day format ?

Hello, How do I convert unix timestamp value to 'normal' date format - to get year month and day values ? Looks like it's easy to do using GNU date (linux systems). But how do I do tthis on AIX ? I don't want to write C program, any ways to do that using unix shells ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date to Unix format

Dear Expert How to convert date in format of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS to unix format using a script or command if avaliable Example "2011-05-15 18:00:00" is converted to 1330970400 I tried to use option d in date command but no use, Im using solaris 10 Thanks a lot (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
12 Replies

5. AIX

convert a specific date to a unix timestamp

hello, i have an AIX5.3 machine and i am writing a script to display some processes. inside the script i want to get the time that the process starts and convert it to a unix timestamp. is there a command that i can use to do that? i search the web but all i found is long scripts and it does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string into date format

Hi, I am getting the below string as a input for date. 12/03/2013 11:02 AM I want to change this date as 03-DEC-2013 11:02 AM. Could you please help on this. Thanks Chelladurai (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX timestamp to readable format in the file

Hello I have a file : file1.txt with the below contents : 237176 test1 test2 1442149024 237138 test3 test4 1442121300 237171 test5 test7 1442112823 237145 test9 test10 1442109600 In the above file fourth field represents the timestamp in Unix format. I found a command which converts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date in dd mm yyyy format to UNIX timestamp

Hello All, I have a date in DD/MM/YYYY format. I am trying to convert this into unix timestamp. I have tried following: date -d $mydate +%s where mydate = 23/12/2016 00:00:00 I am getting following error: date: extra operand `+%s' Try `date --help' for more information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angshuman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: usage: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SK123
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: Thanks, SK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SK123
11 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)