Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Switching hosts and paths
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Switching hosts and paths Post 302350344 by cyberfrog on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 12:56:02 PM
Old 09-03-2009
okay I get what you're saying, cheers for your help there

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paths

Hi there! People, i'm a new unix user, and i'm having some problems... I'm updating some scripts (korn shell) in different servers. I use telnet to access these servers and emacs to write the scripts. One of them is an HP, and thereīs no problem. But the other one is an AIX, and when i call... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caiohn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

switching shells??

Hi How can i switch shells on linux and freebsd? i tried changing the passwd file and restarted the computer but i still get the same old shell. anybody has the answer? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

5. AIX

switching users

Hi All, I used to know a comand that you could log in as another user from root, if you didn't know the password for the account. Can anyone let me know what it is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: banchee
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

vt switching

greetings, i hope this hasn't been covered previously. has anyone heard of a .kext or daemon that would allow linux or (open)solaris-like vt switching? googling didn't help much.. i know os x allows a '>console' login from loginwindow.app, but i'm mainly interested in this because there are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bamdad
0 Replies

7. Solaris

The switching in the different AP's

HI, I am using the windows 2003 server R2 in there we are using the putty as to access the different AP's now from the primary AP i want to login to several different AP's using a script what the script will do is :- input a text file in which list of different ap's and the corresponding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amiglani
0 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Programming

Switching over to C++

Hi, We've been using a perl script to extract datas from several logs to generate a report. I've been asked to rewrite the code in C++. I want to know if it is wise to have a code in C++ and will it be more faster than Perl? (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ribosome
23 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
RUNUSER(1)							   User Commands							RUNUSER(1)

NAME
runuser - run a command with substitute user and group ID SYNOPSIS
runuser [options] -u user command [argument...] runuser [options] [-] [ user [argument...] ] DESCRIPTION
runuser allows to run commands with substitute user and group ID. If the option -u not given, fallback to su compatible semantic and shell is executed. The difference between the commands runuser and su is that runuser does not ask for password (because it may be executed by root user only) and it uses a different PAM configuration. The command runuser does not have to be installed with suid permissions. When called without arguments runuser defaults to running an interactive shell as root. For backward compatibility runuser defaults to not change the current directory and to only set the environment variables HOME and SHELL (plus USER and LOGNAME if the target user is not root). This version of runuser uses PAM for session management. OPTIONS
-c command, --command=command Pass command to the shell with the -c option. --session-command=command Same as -c but do not create a new session (discouraged). -f, --fast Pass -f to the shell which may or may not be useful depending on the shell. -g, --group=group specify the primary group, this option is allowed for root user only -G, --supp-group=group specify a supplemental group, this option is allowed for root user only -, -l, --login Starts the shell as login shell with an environment similar to a real login: o clears all environment variables except for TERM o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, PATH o changes to the target user's home directory o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell -m, -p, --preserve-environment Preserves the whole environment, ie does not set HOME, SHELL, USER nor LOGNAME. The option is ignored if the option --login is specified. -s SHELL, --shell=SHELL Runs the specified shell instead of the default. The shell to run is selected according to the following rules in order: o the shell specified with --shell o The shell specified in the environment variable SHELL if the --preserve-environment option is used. o the shell listed in the passwd entry of the target user o /bin/sh If the target user has a restricted shell (i.e. not listed in /etc/shells) the --shell option and the SHELL environment variables are ignored unless the calling user is root. --help Display help text and exit. --version Display version information and exit. CONFIG FILES
runuser reads the /etc/default/runuser and /etc/login.defs configuration files. The following configuration items are relevant for runuser: ENV_PATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for a regular user. The default value is /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin. ENV_ROOTPATH (string) ENV_SUPATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for root. The default value is /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin. ALWAYS_SET_PATH (boolean) If set to yes and --login and --preserve-environment were not specified runuser initializes PATH. EXIT STATUS
runuser normally returns the exit status of the command it executed. If the command was killed by a signal, runuser returns the number of the signal plus 128. Exit status generated by runuser itself: 1 Generic error before executing the requested command 126 The requested command could not be executed 127 The requested command could was not found FILES
/etc/pam.d/runuser default PAM configuration file /etc/pam.d/runuser-l PAM configuration file if --login is specified /etc/default/runuser runuser specific logindef config file /etc/login.defs global logindef config file SEE ALSO
pam(8), shells(5), login.defs(5), su(1) AUTHOR
Derived from coreutils' su which was based on an implemenation from David MacKenzie and Fedora runuser command from Dan Walsh. AVAILABILITY
The runuser command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux August 2012 RUNUSER(1)