Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Contingency planning for System Failure Post 302350321 by Tirmazi on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 11:55:54 AM
Old 09-03-2009
Contingency planning for System Failure

I have inhereted a Solaris 8 server which is running an important application in our production environment.
The dilema is that the server has just one internal hard drive I believe it was installed using jump start, it does not even have a CD ROM drive and root is not mirrored (since there is only one hard drive)
I cannot take the server down for any reason.
The best I could do is take the backup of the entire server from root on a tape using netbackup.
The only comforting aspect is that I have a server similar to this server which I can use in case of emergency which does have a CD ROM drive.
My question is, if the server dies, what can I do now to restore with minimum down time on to the spare server

I was inclined and please correct me if I am wrong is to create a flash archive from root of this server on to another server's spare drive.

Quote:
flarcreate -n flash_root_archive -c -R / -e root_archive -x /anotherdrive/flash -a admin_operator -S anotherserver:/anotherdrive/flash/flash_archive1
If the server dies I can use the spare server, boot it from solaris 8 CD and do an installation using flash archive i have created.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I surely appreciate some guidence.

Thanks

Last edited by Tirmazi; 09-03-2009 at 01:03 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Planning to be certified , your advice?

Hi, I got 2 courses Intermediate and advanced Solaris 10 Administration before 1 month. I was studying the material of the 1st course I will finish it soon. I want to get the Exam. What is your advice? Which is the best Exam Quastion ( Testking or ,,,,,,,, Etc) .... Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adel8483
1 Replies

2. Solaris

tools for capacity planning

Hi All, What do you usually use for capacity planning tool on solaris 8 or later? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

3. AIX

Use of System Planning Tool (SPT)

How to use system Planning tool. I have installed it and trying to just design something but i dont know any thing ...is there any documentation or questions to practice the SPT ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba
1 Replies

4. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

5. AIX

Planning to prepare for AIX P5 system admin test 223

Hi - one of my frined suggested me to complete the certification for AIX test 223. However, i am not aware of Unix OS and neither has experience of sys admin. I would like to know whether i would be able to prepare for AIX certification and also is it a must to have unix/Sun knowledge to prepare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbalakrishna200
2 Replies

6. Debian

"Your system had a kernel failure"

Hello everybody, I've been using Debian stable (currently Lenny) for more than one year, this is my first Linux. Never experienced any problems like this: when I logged in this morning, I got a message that said my kernel had had a failure and prompted me to send a report to www.kerneloops.org.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikmakk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help needed! Raid 5 failure on a Debian System

Hello! I have a 4-disc Raid 5 server running Open Media Vault (Debian). The other day, it disappeared from OMV, which was reporting 3 drives failed. Panic Stations. However, using MDADM I can get info from 3 of the drives which suggests they are functioning ok (info below). The remaining 4th... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonlisty
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)