Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with script.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with script. Post 302350273 by taekwondo on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 09:56:35 AM
Old 09-03-2009
I'm getting there and I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you all.

I tried Av's and Dan's code and they both worked. The last thing I tried was dan's awk statement, which produced this after a bit of tweaking.

**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[8788]: password check failed for user (henry)
**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[13474]: password check failed for user (henry)
**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[13474]: password check failed for user (henry)
**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[22256]: password check failed for user (henry)
**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[8788]: password check failed for user (henry)
**Unmatched Entries** unix_chkpwd[22256]: password check failed for user (henry)

which is very good. It seems like its looking for unmatched entries, I'm sure there's an easy way of looking for other items (multiple items) such as A or B or C. In my case it would be unmatched entries or Illegal users from? Thanks again, this has been great for me, I am finally learning how to script. Smilie

---------- Post updated at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:55 AM ----------

I am sorry, can you please explain this further?

You might pass the log file in as an argument - so that it's not always checking the /var/spool/mail directory.

I don't know how to pass the log file in as an argument.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avronius
I haven't been able to figure out how to insert a variable into the search field, or I'd provide that example... Here's something that will return the line that matches your search string AND the line that follows immediately afterward.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/Illegal users/{_=2}_&&_--' /var/spool/mail/*
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/Unmatched Entries/{_=2}_&&_--' /var/spool/mail/*
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/Authentication Failures/{_=2}_&&_--' /var/spool/mail/*
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/Invalid Users/{_=2}_&&_--' /var/spool/mail/*

You might pass the log file in as an argument - so that it's not always checking the /var/spool/mail directory.

edit ----------
that should be {_=1}

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
CONFLICT(8)							     [nmh-1.5]							       CONFLICT(8)

NAME
conflict - search for alias/password conflicts SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/conflict [-search directory] [-mail name] [-version] [-help] [aliasfiles ...] DESCRIPTION
Conflict is a program that checks to see if the interface between nmh and the transport system is in good shape Conflict also checks for maildrops in /var/mail which do not belong to a valid user. It assumes that no user name will start with `.', and thus ignores files in /var/mail which begin with `.'. It also checks for entries in the group(5) file which do not belong to a valid user, and for users who do not have a valid group number. In addition duplicate users and groups are noted. If the -mail name switch is used, then the results will be sent to the specified name. Otherwise, the results are sent to the standard output. The -search directory switch can be used to search directories other than /var/mail and to report anomalies in those directories. The -search directory switch can appear more than one time in an invocation to conflict. Conflict should be run under cron(8), or whenever system accounting takes place. FILES
/etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file /etc/passwd List of users /etc/group List of groups /usr/bin/mh/mhmail Program to send mail /var/mail/ Directory of mail drop PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5) DEFAULTS
`aliasfiles' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 CONFLICT(8)