Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to limit the search to 'n' occurrences within a line Post 302350216 by malcomex999 on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 05:57:14 AM
Old 09-03-2009
Or awk...

Code:

awk -v var="hello" '{cnt=gsub(var,arr);if(cnt>=2)print var,var}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Count Occurrences of Pattern in a File

I need to search and count the occurrences of a pattern in a file. The catch here is it's a pattern and not a word ( not necessarily delimited by spaces). For eg. if ABCD is the pattern I need to search and count, it can come in all flavors like (ABCD, ABCD), XYZ.ABCD=100, XYZ.ABCD>=500,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace multiple occurrences on the same line, but not all

Hi there! I am really enjoying working with sed. I am trying to come up with a sed command to replace some occurrences (not all) in the same line, for instance: I have a command which the output will be: 200.300.400.5 0A 0B 0C 01 02 03 being that the last 6 strings are actually one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to limit pattern search to first instance only

I need to reduce a file's size below 50MB by deleting chucks of text. The following sed does this. sed '/^begpattern/,/endpattern/d' myfile However, it's possible that the file size can get below 50MB by just deleting the first instance of the pattern. How do I code that into sed? Or can awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariod1049
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep by limit search

Hi I am in new in unix,can any one tell how to grep the data by limit. suppose I have below data:- is :mSecs is :mSecs is :mSecs is :mSecs requirement is how to grep the data which is having count greater than 1000 msecs only. thanks in adnavce. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
2 Replies

7. Programming

Limit line for perl

Hey guys, can help me out with this? How do i limit output for xml to 50 character? i tried *below* but doesnt work, it still print more than 50 characters. Thanks in advance printf "%-50s", "$testline\n"; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search number of occurrences of a particular string in a file through vi editor?

i have one file, i am doing 'vi Filename' now i want to search for particular string and i want to know how many times that string occurs in whole file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed REGEX to print multiple occurrences of a pattern from a line

I have a line that I need to parse through and extract a pattern that occurs multiple times in it. Example line: getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple occurrences of the same pattern on a line but the first

The lines that I am trying to format look like Device ID: j01-01, IP address: 10.10.10.36, IP address: 10.10.10.35, IP address: 10.10.102.201, Platform: 8040, Capabilities: Host , Interface: GigabitEthernet9/45, Port ID (outgoing port): e0k,Here is what I have so far but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
4 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)