Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 5.8 - BinaryFile - Endianness Post 302349878 by jlliagre on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 06:31:33 AM
Old 09-02-2009
A file endianness as not that much to do with OS endianness. That's the file format that matters so if you have no idea about it, why bother ?
Windows on x86 can certainly create big endian files if the binary format mandates it just like Solaris on SPARC will create binary files with little endian data inside. Any combination of big and little endian can be found in the binary files, just like binary files flowing the internet can be little, big or a mixture of these indianness.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

application compiled on solaris 10 throwing error when executed on solaris 9

I have compiled my application on Solaris 10 with following description SunOS ldg1 5.10 Generic_138888-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320 The compiler is Sun C++ 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124863-01 2007/07/25 But when installing the application on Solaris 9 SunOS odcarch02 5.9... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_bit2k2
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to know endianness of a machine

hi I have a ubuntu machine and want to know the endianness of the system.... How would i get to know..... The information of my machine is: uname -a 42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 201 1 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux and lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankita Singlaa
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to add Solaris text console to Solaris grub2 menu?

Hi, I am new to sloaris and just instlled the solaris 11.2, i know little more about linux, i open the /boot/grub/grub.cfg in solaris and there is many other entries forl solaris 11.2 one of them is for 'Oracle Solaris 11.2 text console' but at boot grub2 only show the first default entry that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamsat
1 Replies

5. AIX

IBM TDS/SDS (LDAP) - can I mix endianness among servers in an instance ?

I'd like to add some x/linux-based servers to my current AIX-based TDS/SDS server community. Reading the Fine Install Guide (rtfig ?) I believe this may be covered by the section "Upgrade an instance of a previous version to a different computer" i.e. I'm going to install latest/greatest SDS on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
4 Replies
oggdec(1)							   Vorbis Tools 							 oggdec(1)

NAME
oggdec - simple decoder, Ogg Vorbis file to PCM audio file (Wave or RAW). SYNOPSIS
oggdec [ -QhV ] [ -b bits_per_sample ] [ -e endianness ] [ -R ] [ -s signedness ] [ -o outputfile ] file ... DESCRIPTION
oggdec decodes Ogg Vorbis files into PCM-encoded ("uncompressed") audio files, either Wave or RAW format. For each input file, oggdec writes to a filename based on the input filename, but with the extension changed to ".wav" or ".raw" as appro- priate. If the input file is specified as - , then oggdec will read from stdin, and write to stdout unless an output filename is specified. Like- wise, an output filename of - will cause output to be to stdout. Writing Wave format to stdout is a bad idea. Wave requires a seekable medium for the header to be rewritten after all the data is written out; stdout is not seekable. OPTIONS
-Q, --quiet Suppresses program output. -h, --help Print help message. -V, --version Display version information. -b n, --bits=n Bits per sample. Valid values are 8 or 16. -e n, --endianness=n Set endianness for 16-bit output. 0 (default) is little-endian (Intel byte order). 1 is big-endian (sane byte order). -R, --raw Output in raw format. If not specified, writes Wave file (RIFF headers). -s n, --sign=n Set signedness for output. 0 for unsigned, 1 (default) for signed. -o filename, --output=filename Write output to specified filename. This option is only valid if one input [file] is specified, or if raw mode is used. EXAMPLES
Decode a file enabler.ogg to enabler.wav as little-endian unsigned 16-bit (default options): oggdec enabler.ogg Decode a file enabler.ogg to enabler.raw as headerless little-endian unsigned 16-bit: oggdec --raw=1 enabler.ogg Decode enabler.ogg to enabler.crazymonkey as unsigned 8-bit: oggdec -b 8 -s 0 -o enabler.crazymonkey enabler.ogg Decode enabler.ogg to enabler.raw as big-endian signed 16-bit (any of the following): oggdec -R -e 1 -b 16 enabler.ogg oggdec -R -e 1 -b 16 -o enabler.raw - < enabler.ogg oggdec -R -e 1 -b 16 - < enabler.ogg > enabler.raw Mass decoding (foo.ogg to foo.wav, bar.ogg to bar.wav, quux.ogg to quux.wav, etc.): oggdec *.ogg AUTHORS
Program Authors Michael Smith <msmith@xiph.org> Manpage Authors Frederick Lee <phaethon@linux.ucla.edu>, assisted by a few million monkeys armed with keyboards in irc://irc.openprojects.net/#vorbis SEE ALSO
ogg123(1), oggenc(1), vorbiscomment(1), flac(1), speexdec(1) Xiph.Org Foundation 2008 September 9 oggdec(1)