Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: create a basic script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting create a basic script Post 302349642 by Estanislau on Tuesday 1st of September 2009 11:56:56 AM
Old 09-01-2009
create a basic script

Hi everybody Smilie Smilie Smilie,
I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat.
The file has the following configuration (separeted by colunms):

Code:
115675.040000 9358616.700000 0.000000 4995,450195 
115675.040000 9358616.700000 50.000000 4995,450195
115675.040000 9358616.700000 100.000000 5008,660156
................. .................. ............ ...............
................. .................. ............. ...............

Is it possible to create in unix/linux a script to make this operation?
PS: The file is too big to do it the excel

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-01-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: code tags, PLEASE!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script?

All, I have a list of over 400 users that need certain directories created. These will be created in /users/$username on a system and I need a directory called chess under these directories that I create. Instead of me manually adding each one (mkdir /users/user1, mkdir /users/user1/chess)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with a basic script

a) Total number of words in the file. b) Total number of different words in the file. How can I use the translate and/or unique commands to accomplish this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EECSDAVE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic script for yes and no answers

What is the basic syntax for a script that says do you want to do this? y - execute this n - end not y or n - end and print this for example if I want to run this: "Do you want to start this process?" answer if y,Y, or yes then run the following script (do I put the script with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a basic script

Hi everybody :( :confused: :D, I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat. The file has the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Estanislau
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with basic script - not working..

Here is the script I wrote... Pls. help. #!/bin/ksh for SERVER in NEWSNYD403P NEWSNYD404P SNEWSNYD601P SNEWSNYD602P SNEWSDNY603P SNEWSNYD604P do /usr/bin/scp "/home/sam/bash.tar root@$SERVER":/tmp done Error msg I get: ./scp_script.sh: syntax error at line 3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies
ADSL-SETUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ADSL-SETUP(8)

NAME
adsl-setup - Shell script to configure Roaring Penguin PPPoE client SYNOPSIS
adsl-setup DESCRIPTION
adsl-setup is a shell script which prompts you for various pieces of information and sets up an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 configuration script for the adsl-start, adsl-stop and adsl-connect scripts. AUTHOR
adsl-setup was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), adsl-start(8), adsl-stop(8), adsl-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), adsl-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 ADSL-SETUP(8)