Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find command, -name by directory and subdirectory? Post 302348887 by methyl on Sunday 30th of August 2009 10:00:16 AM
Old 08-30-2009
(withdrawn)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate file's size in directory and subdirectory

Hi, I have written one script to calculate total space of all file in one directory, ignoring subdirectory, it works fine. Now, I've been trying to calculate all files which includes files in any subdirectories. I use recursive function to do this, but it can work only if there is only one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KLL
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files in directory and its subdirectory

I am writing a script which reads a file line by line and then assigns it to a variable like this 1090373422_4028715212.jpg. I have images with file name of this format in some other directory. In my script I want to assign variable with this file name and then find this filename in some other... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotib
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list directory and subdirectory?

Hi, I want to list all the directory and subdirectories under any directory. For eg. i am in a directory called A and want to check all directories under A. Output should be as below. /A /A/a1 /A/a1/a2 /A/b1 /A/c1/c2 A,a1,a2,b1,c1 and c2 all are directories.Just for Eg. Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of file size in directory / subdirectory

Hi , I am trying to write something to find the size of particular type of files in a directory & it's subdirectory and sum the size .. These types of file are found at directory level or its subdirectories level .. #!/bin/ksh FNAME='.pdf' S_PATH=/abc/def/xyz find $S_PATH -exec ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move all files in a directory and subdirectory?

I'm trying to organize my MB Pro by moving all my jpeg files to a single folder from the desktop. There are some on the desktop that are not in any folder. I was at the command line and typed mv *.jpg "Jpeg files" but it only moved the files that were on the desktop, not any of the ones that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i find a word inside a file from a directory and it's subdirectory ?

Suppose i have a word "mail". I have to search this word in all files inside a directory and it's sub-directories. It will also search in all hidden directory and sub-directories. If it finds this word in any file it will list that file. How can i do this with perl/ruby/awk/sed/bash or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all files except the subdirectory(without pattern) in a directory

I used rm * and it deleted the files in the directory but gives and error message for unsuccessful subdirectory deletion. "rm: cannot remove 'DirectoryName': Is a directory" I dont want to explicitly get the above error. What are the modifications I have to do in the rm command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duplicate
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make a subdirectory the root directory

I have a series of configuration files to deliver to multiple unix environments (dev, test, bench, prod etc). However I don't to modify them for each environment. The files are text which currently contain this type of directory information IN=/DVT/ms/sas/reception/PIL_QPA_SID/GSPIN001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clarcombe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching File in Directory and all Subdirectory and Delete

Hi All, My directory structure is like Directory1 SubDirectory1 SubDirectory2 SubDirectory3 I have main directories and subdirectories underneath. I want to write a shell script where I will be passing file name as a parameter, Now I want to find all the files in Directory1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: John William
19 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)