Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A question about backup.
Operating Systems Solaris A question about backup. Post 302348837 by wolfgang on Sunday 30th of August 2009 01:51:48 AM
Old 08-30-2009
A question about backup.

Hi all.
There are some SPARC mashines. What method can be made from them backup (slices or entire disk) in field conditions if I have only the laptop with win xp pro and the internet?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set uid question w/ backup script

this is the backup script. When i run it as a non root or authority user i get the following errors for each filesystem being backedup. It then continues to the next fs. Do i have this set up correctly? am i missing something? backup: The backup command has ended abnormally. backup: 0511-225... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Backup program question

How do UNIX backup programs know which files to dump. Unlike Windows, UNIX files do not have the "archive" bit, yes? So, again, how does it know which file(s) to dump. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MayDHorseBwithU
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix Backup question

I am very new to Unix. We have a Unix workstation that is on a tape backup system setup by an external consultant. However, I need to know how to verify that the backup is actually running and backing up actual data. When I checked earlier this week, the log file had listed the folllowing: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsnapp
2 Replies

4. AIX

Question about restoring from mksysb backup

Hello, Last night I applied a DB2 fix pack which is now causing problems with the application that uses db2. Prior to applying the fix pack I did a mksysb(rootvg) which includes the file system that has db2 installed on it. If I do a restore from this will it restore the db2 version back to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoung
1 Replies

5. AIX

Question about Smitty Fs (backup an F.S)

hi all:cool: was just wonderin..by the way im new here..hi all:D...was just wonderin if i smitty fs backup a file system to tape if the permissions and ownership of the files and dir are retained?:confused: o.s is AIX 5.3L thanks all (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: redmanshogun
12 Replies

6. AIX

Question on CD writer & backup

Hi All, 1. I have many AIX system here but none of them has any CD writer. I want to buy external CD writer so I can move around when needed. Can some one tell me which one they have. Please let me know exact model number so it will be easy for me to order it. I tried going to IBM web site,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

7. AIX

Backup question

Hi All! I'm rather new in AIX so I want some comments about backup scheme I've developed to backup every part of the system. I have the following hardware: - Power6 570 server with two VIO server and 3 LPARs - NIM server outside (on the other Power server) - Windows 2003 Server with Tivoli... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kogor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

question about restoration from backup tape (solaris 10)

I am trying to restore opt on my server. my issue is, all the partitions are saved into the same back up tape. what is the exact command to just restore /opt for example, supposing c0t0d0s7 is the partition for /opt ---------- Post updated at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. AIX

Backup and restore question

I run a backup sucessfully: find . | backup -ivqf/dev/rmt0 I want to make sure I can restore, so I change to a test directory and try this: restore -rvqf /dev/rmt0 However, we fail with this error: New volume on /dev/rmt0: Cluster size is 51200 bytes (100 blocks). The volume number is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
3 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)