Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba pre-install questions.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Samba pre-install questions. Post 302348642 by fguy on Friday 28th of August 2009 10:09:14 PM
Old 08-28-2009
Thanks it's working fine. as suggested installed the three packages. a couple of observations

some of the steps mentioned on the page you linked were not presented, in particular there were no prompts for password issues. also the workgroup name was added automatically to smb.conf as part of the install. otherwise is was helpful for the install.

for the actual setup of the shares, I found this page helpful, very clearcut
SAMBA Windows Linux file sharing notes

damn but apt is slick. Coming in I actually though it might be a little trickier than windows to download and install stuff. Guess I was wrong. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

samba questions (password conversion to blowfish and is it wise to sync the useraccou

i stumbled upon something that gave some nice instructions on how to convert FreeBSD passwords from md5 to blowfish. it was simple and straight forward and it worked. i'm running samba on the machine. now i know the tutorial i was following had something where a user's samba and machine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. AIX

Install Samba

Hello Can someone help how to install samba on aix 5.3, I go to tha samba page and i download two files opt-samba-base.tar.gz opt-samba-3.0.28-AIX5.tar.gz and I read the readme file but there is a file that miss and I dont know if I need to do this necessary "You can now verify... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

3. AIX

Samba install on AIX 5.2

Ok I'm still trying to figure AIX out, I was used to HP-UX until they switched our server to AIX in February and all of the other servers are Linux which appears to be much more friendly. AIX is, well, NOT. I am trying to install Samba so I can copy files onto a Windows SQL server - that's all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rball
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba: Install w/o Root

I've had some recent success compiling some simple programs to my home directory without root access (wget, screen, less). My Question is this: Can I compile a complex program like Samba WITHOUT root access to my home directory? Or are the multiple library dependencies going to cause an issue?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldfish
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Samba Compiling questions

OS: Solaris 10 I downloaded a binary from samba.org (3.0.24) I extracted the file and ran the following command: # ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-configdir=/etc/sfw --with-winbind Now I am trying to understand the compile process but I can't find many answers online ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
10 Replies

6. Red Hat

how can i know what arguments are passed to a pre install rpm script?

hi, i have an rpm, and i am looking at the presinstall script. i can see it takes in an argument, but what i do not know is how this argument is passed to the script? is there something that calls the preinstall script? i thought the preinstall script was the first thing executed. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL Kickstart Pre-Install script

Hey all, I'm not sure if this possible but I had tested it out manually during the installation (placed a sleep in the pre-installation) and it worked. I'm trying to have a pexpect script to log into the mysql and input a new row for the pre-installation, which will end up displaying on a web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karljbaker
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Two simple questions about Solaris DCHP and Samba

I have two simple questions First is :can dhcp server NATIVE of solaris perform dhcp updates of bind via dnssec like dchpd on linux? Second: Is possible to build a pdc with samba and iplanet ldap server?Or is better with openldap? I never found howto or discussions about iplanet server. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Samba 3.6.5 install problems

Hi all, I'm trying to update my samba 3.5.10 to 3.6.5 due to security CVE issued with 3.5. I downloaded and unzipped, did the make and make install and the ./configure. I didn't use any changes to it and it said it installed correctly added it to my path and it looks like it's operating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattymatt79
6 Replies

10. Solaris

samba error after install with pkgadd

Hello this is samiulla. i face this issue. i installed samba with pkgadd after i install i add paths for that. -bash-3.00# echo $PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin/ -bash-3.00# when enter this commad smbd -D i got this error smbd -D... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samiulla
3 Replies
PMDASAMBA(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						      PMDASAMBA(1)

NAME
pmdasamba - Samba performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) DESCRIPTION
pmdasamba is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from Samba, a Windows SMB/CIFS server for UNIX. In order for values to be made available by this PMDA, Samba must have been built with profiling support (WITH_PROFILE in "smbd -b" output). This PMDA dynamically enumerates much of its metric hierarchy, based on the contents of "smbstatus --profile". When the agent is installed (see below), the Install script will attempt to enable Samba statistics gathering, using "smbcontrol --profile". INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the samba performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba # ./Remove pmdasamba is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba/Install installation script for the pmdasamba agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba/Remove undo installation script for the pmdasamba agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/samba.log default log file for error messages from pmdasamba SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), smbd(1) and samba(7). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDASAMBA(1)