Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers top output for a specific process to a file Post 302348614 by Bloke on Friday 28th of August 2009 06:45:23 PM
Old 08-28-2009
bump

@methyl: I'd be very interested in finding out how to do the same with ps for a specific process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting my output to a specific file

Hi guys am doing some checking inside my script and i want to redirect my output to a specific file for example checking if a move was successfully done and was writing on the screen whether the move was successful or not and now want to write same thing into a file... I am new to shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

catpure output of 'top' in a file

#!/bin/sh echo `date +%F:%T` >> top.out echo `top -n1` >> top.out Hi all, i am trying to capture the output of the 'top' command in linux. when i run the command manually, it works. However, when i run it as a cronjob,the 'top' output is not being printed to the file,only the date is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

top output for six processes with the same name, output changed from column to row

Hi, I have a system under test, and I use a script that does a ps. The output, is in the following format, it's basically the timestamp, followed by the rss and vsize. 09:03:57 68404 183656 68312 181944 69860 217360 67536 182564 69072 183172 69032 199276 09:04:27 68752 183292 70000 189020... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Output top to file

Hi, I've installed SMCtop on to a Solaris 9 sparc server and I am trying to capture the output of top to a file without success. The version of top I have installed is top-3.6.1-sol9-sparc-local.gz. All my attempts are below. # /usr/local/bin/top -d 5 -f /tmp/top.out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
3 Replies

6. Solaris

top output and swap -s output are differing

Solaris experts, Am struggling, and wondering for the past more than one week that, how to calculate the total available and used memory/swap space. Finally installed and used top & got some understanding, but while cross-checking, there are mismatches. Main Memory top o/p - 2GB... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output strings to specific positions in a file

Been searching for about 3 hours for similar functionality that I can get examples of how to output text from variables into certain locations in a file. I would like to incorporate this into a script. I have not been able to find a command example that does it all in one method. I find part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bennu_500
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Formatted TOP command output in file

Hi All, I want generate HP-UX overall system performance report. I tried executing top command and write that out put to file. but am not able to view the report in proper format. I can see report like below in file but i can see properly in terminal. Please suggest how can i get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lravip123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output specific matches in file

Using the attached file, the below awk command results in the output below: I can not seem to produce the desired results and need some expert help. Thank you :). awk -F'' ' { id += $4 value += $5 occur++ } END{ printf "%-8s%8s%8s%8s\n", "Gene", "Targets", "Average Depth", "Average... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
XSelectInput(3X11)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						XSelectInput(3X11)

NAME
XSelectInput - select input events SYNTAX
XSelectInput(display, w, event_mask) Display *display; Window w; long event_mask; ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. event_mask Specifies the event mask. w Specifies the window whose events you are interested in. DESCRIPTION
The XSelectInput function requests that the X server report the events associated with the specified event mask. Initially, X will not report any of these events. Events are reported relative to a window. If a window is not interested in a device event, it usually propa- gates to the closest ancestor that is interested, unless the do_not_propagate mask prohibits it. Setting the event-mask attribute of a window overrides any previous call for the same window but not for other clients. Multiple clients can select for the same events on the same window with the following restrictions: o Multiple clients can select events on the same window because their event masks are disjoint. When the X server generates an event, it reports it to all interested clients. o Only one client at a time can select CirculateRequest, ConfigureRequest, or MapRequest events, which are associated with the event mask SubstructureRedirectMask. o Only one client at a time can select a ResizeRequest event, which is associated with the event mask ResizeRedirectMask. o Only one client at a time can select a ButtonPress event, which is associated with the event mask ButtonPressMask. The server reports the event to all interested clients. XSelectInput can generate a BadWindow error. DIAGNOSTICS
BadWindow A value for a Window argument does not name a defined Window. SEE ALSO
Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 Release 6.6 XSelectInput(3X11)