Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple shell Post 302347916 by ryandegreat25 on Thursday 27th of August 2009 01:10:50 AM
Old 08-27-2009
i guess your script was not so simple after all Smilie can you post the stdout and stderr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple shell question

Hi all... here is my question: in the following, will the `cd $ref_ntp` work? for i in `cat $fic` do { echo " " echo ================$i============================= OS=`$CMD -s $i "uname"` case $OS in SunOS) ref_ntp=/ref/ntp/SUN ;; HP-UX) ref_ntp=/ref/ntp/HP ;; esac ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_new_admin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell scripts

hi everyone... i'm new to this shell programming and i want help with the following question... i hope someone can help me ...pls plsssssssssss ========================================================== the question ========================================================== A number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moon14
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple shell script

Hi, I am new to unix as well as shell programming. Any body can provide me a simple shell script which should copy/transfer/fetch a file(using FTP)from remote server to local system.and it should log the details when it was fetched.If there is any error,the error msg should log in log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mar1006
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I need of a simple shell script

Hi, I need of a simple shell script to launch a perl script. The complet path of the script is: /export/home/x2693/project/v02/appliancemanagement.pl (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script

Hello Friends, I am writing a shell script which will grab a file if it exists and copies it to another folder and will append with current date. I have written but gives me error, plz help: -------------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/sh source=/home/dev4rice/naveen/test1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help :: Simple Shell Scripting

Hello, I want to find the "IP-OF-SERVER" in /etc/squid/squid.conf And replace it with The IP of server. I know this command returns the IP of server : ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' And I can replace with sed. : sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple Shell Script

Hi , I am in need of simple shell script that has one input file containing some words Input file 1 : ****ALEX***JOHN*******VIRGIL***** CHRITINE*****FAISAL*****DON***** ****ALEX***JOHN*******VIRGIL***** CHRITINE*****FAISAL*****DON***** ****ALEX***JOHN*******VIRGIL*****... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanjuna
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script? Someone help?

Write a shell script which adds up 10 numbers entered by the user and displays the result to the screen. You must use the read command to obtain the numbers from the user. Im a nooby noob (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on simple shell script

Hello, I need to create one very simple shell script that checks if the first character of the file ./pump.txt is 0 and in that case gives a message. If the first character is instead 1, it does give a different message. I have written: irr= head -c 1 ./pump.txt if ]; then echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
4 Replies
KERNEL-IMG.CONF(5)					      Debian GNU/Linux manual						KERNEL-IMG.CONF(5)

NAME
kernel-img.conf - site wide configuration file for kernel image packages SYNOPSIS
/etc/kernel-img.conf DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/kernel-img.conf is a simple file looked at by the kernel image post installation process to allow local options for handling some aspects of the installation, overriding the defaults built into the image itself. The format of the file is a simple VAR=VALUE pair. Boolean values may be specified as Yes, True, 1, and No, False, 0, and are case insensi- tive. This file is automatically created by the installation script in certain circumstances. At the moment, the user modifiable variables supported are: postinst_hook DEPRECATED: Set this variable to a script to be executed during installation. The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. Before calling this script, the env variable STEM shall be set to the value of the --stem argument (or the default value, linux), and KERNEL_PACK- AGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-package that created the package. This script shall be called with two argu- ments, the first being the version of the kernel image, and the second argument being the location of the kernel image itself. Errors in the script shall cause the postinst to fail. Since debconf is in use before the script is called, this script should issue no diagnostic messages to stdout -- while the postinst does call db_stop, debconf does not restore stdout, so messages to stdout disappear. An example script for grub users is present in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/ directory. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d directory. postrm_hook DEPRECATED: Set this variable to a script to be executed in the postrm (that is, after the image has been removed) after all the remove actions have been performed. The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. The environment variable KERNEL_PACKAGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-package that created the package. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the version of the kernel image, and the second argument being the location of the kernel image itself. Errors in the script shall produce a warning message, but shall be otherwise ignored. Since debconf is in use before the script is called, this script should issue no diagnostic messages to stdout -- while the postinst does call db_stop, debconf does not restore stdout, so messages to stdout disappear. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/kernel/postrm.d directory. preinst_hook DEPRECATED: Set this variable to a script to be executed before the package is unpacked, and can be used to put in additional checks. The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. The environment variable KERNEL_PACKAGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-package that created the package. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the version of the kernel image, and the second argument being the location of the kernel image itself. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/ker- nel/preinst.d directory. prerm_hook DEPRECATED: Set this variable to a script to be executed before the package files are removed (so any added files may be removed) . The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. The environment variable KERNEL_PACKAGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-pack- age that created the package. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the version of the kernel image, and the second argument being the location of the kernel image itself. Errors in the script shall cause the prerm to fail. Since debconf is in use before the script is called, this script should issue no diagnostic messages to stdout -- while the postinst does call db_stop, debconf does not restore stdout, so messages to stdout disappear. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/ker- nel/prerm.d directory. src_postinst_hook DEPRECATED: Unlike the other hook variables, this is meant for a script run during the post inst of a docs, headers or a source package. Using this hook for the headers package is now being deprecated, at some point the headers post install script shall only run the header_postinst_hook. The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. The environment variable KERNEL_PACKAGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-package that created the package. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the name of the package being installed (could be kernel source or headers), and the second argument being the version of the package being installed. Errors in the script shall cause the postinst to fail. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/ker- nel/src_postinst.d directory. header_postinst_hook DEPRECATED: Unlike the other hook variables, this is meant for a script run during the post inst of a headers package only. The path can be a relative path if the script lives in a safe path -- that is, if it lives in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin, or must be an absolute path instead. The environment variable KERNEL_PACKAGE_VERSION shall be set to the version of the kernel-package that created the package. This script shall be called with two arguments, the first being the name of the package being installed, and the second argument being the version of the package being installed. Errors in the script shall cause the postinst to fail. This script is run after the scripts in /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d directory. clobber_modules If set, the preinst shall silently try to move /lib/modules/version out of the way if it is the same version as the image being installed. Use at your own risk. This variable is unset by default. warn_reboot This variable can be used to turn off the warning given when installing a kernel image which is the same version as the currently running version. If the modules list is changed, the modules dependencies may have been changed, and the modules for the new kernel may not run correctly on the running kernel if the kernel ABI has changed in the meanwhile. It is a good idea to reboot, and this is a note to remind you. If you know what you are doing, you can set this variable to no. This variable is set by default. relink_build_link This option manipulates the build link created by recent kernels. If the link is a dangling link, and if a the corresponding kernel headers appear to have been installed on the system, a new symlink shall be created to point to them. The default is to relink the build link (YES). force_build_link This option manipulates the build link created by recent kernels. If the link is a dangling link, a new symlink shall be created to point to kernel headers data in /usr/src, whether they have been installed or not. The default is unset, we don't create potentially dangling symlinks by default. relink_src_link This option manipulates the source link created by recent kernels. If the link is a dangling link it is deleted at install time. The default is to relink (delete) the source link (YES). silent_modules This option has been put in for the people who are vastly irritated on being warned about preexisting modules directory /lib/mod- ules/$version. That directory may belong to an old or defunct kernel image package, in which case problems may arise with leftover modules in that directory tree, or the directory may legitimately exist due to a independent modules package being installed for this kernel version that has already been unpacked. In this latter case the existence of the directory is benign. If you set this variable, you shall no longer be given a chance to abort if a preexisting modules directory /lib/modules/$version is detected. This is unset by default. ignore_depmod_err If set, does not prompt to continue after a depmod problem in the postinstall script. This facilitates automated installs, though it may mask a problem with the kernel image. A diagnostic is still issued. This is unset be default. FILES
The file described here is /etc/kernel-img.conf. SEE ALSO
make(1), make-kpkg(1), kernel-pkg.conf(5), The GNU Make manual BUGS
There are no bugs. Any resemblance thereof is delirium. Really. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Debian Aug 20 2009 KERNEL-IMG.CONF(5)